Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

88th Ave closed between 164St and 160 St due to a heavy police presence

88th Ave closed between 164St and 160 St due to a heavy police presence
Surrey RCMP are currently responding to an unfolding event at a single family residence in the area of 88 Ave. There is a heavy police presence in that neighbourhood at this time & there is no risk to public safety. 88 Ave is currently closed b/w 164 St & 160 St, including 162 St.

88th Ave closed between 164St and 160 St due to a heavy police presence

'A slap in the face': B.C. mayors decry being rejected for federal disaster relief

'A slap in the face': B.C. mayors decry being rejected for federal disaster relief
The mayors of Merritt, Princeton and Abbotsford want the rejections reconsidered and say they received no details about why their requests to the Disaster Mitigation and Adaptation Fund failed, other than being told their lengthy applications were missing information.

'A slap in the face': B.C. mayors decry being rejected for federal disaster relief

Pharmacare bill passes in the House of Commons, heads to the Senate

Pharmacare bill passes in the House of Commons, heads to the Senate
The Liberals' pharmacare bill is headed to the Senate after passing third reading in the House of Commons. The bill was the result of careful and lengthy negotiations between the Liberals and the New Democrats as a key element of their political pact to prevent an early election.

Pharmacare bill passes in the House of Commons, heads to the Senate

White Rock woman charged in theft

White Rock woman charged in theft
A 36-year-old White Rock woman is facing several charges including break and enter, theft and possession of stolen goods, after an alert neighbour in Tsawwassen called police to report a robbery. Delta police say it happened around 4:20 this morning when the neighbour saw a man and woman removing property from the home's garage and putting it in a nearby minivan.

White Rock woman charged in theft

Hackers may have accessed 22 B.C. government inboxes, data on 19 employees: Farnworth

Hackers may have accessed 22 B.C. government inboxes, data on 19 employees: Farnworth
Twenty-two British Columbia government email inboxes with sensitive personal information on 19 employees may have been accessed during a cyber attack on the province's networks, the minister of public safety said on Monday. Mike Farnworth said there's no indication the general public's information was compromised and investigators have not identified any misuse of the information the criminals may have accessed.

Hackers may have accessed 22 B.C. government inboxes, data on 19 employees: Farnworth

Woman's body found in Chilliwack

Woman's body found in Chilliwack
Homicide detectives have taken over an investigation into the death of a 50-year-old woman in Chilliwack that they say is suspicious. R-C-M-P say officers responded to a sudden death at a city home on Sunday where they found the woman's body.

Woman's body found in Chilliwack