Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Seizure of drugs & weapons in Prince George

Seizure of drugs & weapons in Prince George
Mounties in Prince George say an investigation has led to the seizure of drugs and various weapons from two homes. They say quantities of drugs, including suspected fentanyl, were found during the search on May 14th. Mounties are calling it a "significant blow" to the illicit drug trade in Prince George.

Seizure of drugs & weapons in Prince George

2 arrested in pepper spray attack

2 arrested in pepper spray attack
New Westminster police say two people have been arrested after a student was attacked with pepper spray at a high school earlier this month. The incident happened at New Westminster Secondary School the morning of May 17th.

2 arrested in pepper spray attack

Human smugglers used B.C. freight trains to move people across border, U.S. says

Human smugglers used B.C. freight trains to move people across border, U.S. says
The U.S. Department of Justice says two men are facing human smuggling charges in Seattle for their alleged role in what it calls a dangerous scheme to transport people out of British Columbia and across the border on freight trains. 

Human smugglers used B.C. freight trains to move people across border, U.S. says

Nominations are now open for the 2024 Darpan Awards

Nominations are now open for the 2024 Darpan Awards
Get ready for the biggest awards night on September 27th!! It's the 14th annual Darpan Extraordinary Achievement Awards. The night will recognize 10 incredible South Asian achievers who have contributed greatly to their particular field.

Nominations are now open for the 2024 Darpan Awards

Saskatchewan NDP asks Speaker to call meeting on gun allegation, invite investigation

Saskatchewan NDP asks Speaker to call meeting on gun allegation, invite investigation
Saskatchewan's Opposition is calling on the Speaker to set the wheels in motion for a third-party investigation into gun-carrying and bullying behaviour inside the legislature.

Saskatchewan NDP asks Speaker to call meeting on gun allegation, invite investigation

Humboldt Broncos families fight to keep Saskatchewan government named in lawsuit

Humboldt Broncos families fight to keep Saskatchewan government named in lawsuit
Lawyers for several Humboldt Broncos families were in court Tuesday fighting a bid by the government of Saskatchewan to have it removed as a defendant in a lawsuit over the deadly bus crash in 2018. 

Humboldt Broncos families fight to keep Saskatchewan government named in lawsuit