Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada mulls Chinese EV tariff following U.S. move but is not committing to it

Canada mulls Chinese EV tariff following U.S. move but is not committing to it
Canada is looking at the massive new U.S. import tariffs on Chinese-made electric vehicles imposed by President Joe Biden earlier this month, but is not making any commitment to following suit north of the border. Chinese brands are not a major player in Canada's EV market at the moment but imports from China have exploded in the last year as Tesla switched from U.S. factories for its Canadian sales to its manufacturing plant in Shanghai.

Canada mulls Chinese EV tariff following U.S. move but is not committing to it

Miller increases cap on applications for Palestinians to join relatives in Canada

Miller increases cap on applications for Palestinians to join relatives in Canada
Immigration Minister Marc Miller is increasing the number of applications that will be processed under a much-criticized program to reunite Palestinians with Canadian relatives. The move comes as he testifies about measures introduced months ago that were meant to bring relatives of Canadians from conflict zones in the Gaza Strip and Sudan to safety.

Miller increases cap on applications for Palestinians to join relatives in Canada

As Canada warms, infectious disease risks spread north

As Canada warms, infectious disease risks spread north
It was 15 years ago that Ontario student Justin Wood started feeling sick. When it came, the diagnosis was a rare one: Lyme disease. At the time, the tick-borne illness was only responsible for a few hundred infections a year in Canada, according to government statistics. But cases of Lyme disease have now increased more than 1,000 per cent in a decade as the warming climate pushes the boundaries of a range of pathogens and risk factors northward.

As Canada warms, infectious disease risks spread north

Fort Nelson, B.C., evacuees heading home after wildfire evacuation order ends

Fort Nelson, B.C., evacuees heading home after wildfire evacuation order ends
Residents in Fort Nelson are returning home after being evacuated from the community for more than two weeks due to wildfires. The Northern Rockies Regional Municipality and the Fort Nelson First Nation jointly rescinded their evacuation orders at 8 a.m. Monday, lifting roadblocks and clearing the way for people to go home.

Fort Nelson, B.C., evacuees heading home after wildfire evacuation order ends

Surrey business robbed

Surrey business robbed
Mounties in Surrey are hoping to speak with anyone with dashcam footage of the 9200 block of 120 Street on Friday evening after a business was robbed at gunpoint. Police say two men wearing masks entered the unnamed business with what appeared to be firearms, spoke with one of the employees, and stole a cellphone as they walked out.

Surrey business robbed

2 people dead in plane crash

2 people dead in plane crash
The RCMP says two people have died after a plane crash near Squamish on Friday. Police say they were able to access the remote area located south of Squamish on the west side of Howe Sound via air. 

2 people dead in plane crash