Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Burgers run out, hotels heave, as wildfire evacuees swell a B.C. town

Burgers run out, hotels heave, as wildfire evacuees swell a B.C. town
The Denny's restaurant in Fort St. John, B.C., ran out of burgers on Tuesday, a waiter said. Hotels have been filled with new guests, some turning up without identification or money, according to one manager. Fort St. John businesses have been doing their best to welcome the influx, offering free movie nights — popcorn included — and discount burritos.  

Burgers run out, hotels heave, as wildfire evacuees swell a B.C. town

Police say two men known to each other found dead at Surrey home

Police say two men known to each other found dead at Surrey home
The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has been called in after two men were found dead in a Surrey, B.C., home on Wednesday.  A statement from RCMP says officers found the bodies after they were called to conduct a check on people in the home. 

Police say two men known to each other found dead at Surrey home

Fourth accused in Nijjar murder appears in B.C. court

Fourth accused in Nijjar murder appears in B.C. court
A fourth man accused in the murder of British Columbia Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar will next appear at provincial court on May 21, the same day the other three accused are scheduled for a hearing. The BC Prosecution Service says 22-year-old Amandeep Singh appeared via video link for his first appearance in a Surrey, B.C., court on Wednesday, and the matter has been put forward to next week.

Fourth accused in Nijjar murder appears in B.C. court

Rain keeping Fort McMurray fire at bay, as thousands out of homes in Western Canada

Rain keeping Fort McMurray fire at bay, as thousands out of homes in Western Canada
A wildfire that has forced thousands out of their homes in the Alberta oilsands hub city of Fort McMurray was held in place Thursday as rain and cooler temperatures swept the area. Alberta Wildfire information officer Christie Tucker said the blaze remained out of control – the only such designated fire in the province – but it did not grow overnight and remained at 200 square kilometres in size.

Rain keeping Fort McMurray fire at bay, as thousands out of homes in Western Canada

Teenagers target people's faces by 'soft air guns' on Vancouver Island

Teenagers target people's faces by 'soft air guns' on Vancouver Island
Police on Vancouver Island have issued a warning after responding to a series of reports about people being struck in the face and neck by teenagers shooting what police describe as "water gel blasters" or soft air guns.  The statement from Campbell River R-C-M-P says the teens are driving by and shooting at pedestrians.

Teenagers target people's faces by 'soft air guns' on Vancouver Island

Fuel surcharge removed from BC Ferries 

Fuel surcharge removed from BC Ferries 
BC Ferries is removing a four per cent fuel surcharge from all fares, as it expects a record number of people and vehicles on board its vessels this summer. It says the move set to take effect June 1st will increase affordability for customers.   

Fuel surcharge removed from BC Ferries