Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa to provide $132 million to help people fleeing civil war in Sudan

Ottawa to provide $132 million to help people fleeing civil war in Sudan
International Development Minister Ahmed Hussen is announcing $132 million in aid for people fleeing Sudan's yearlong civil war. The funding includes $100 million in humanitarian aid for Sudanese who have fled to neighbouring countries as well as those stuck in Sudan amid widescale violence.

Ottawa to provide $132 million to help people fleeing civil war in Sudan

18 communities hold tsunami preparedness events

18 communities hold tsunami preparedness events
Eighteen communities, from White Rock to Ucluelet and Sooke to Port McNeill, are holding so-called high ground hikes next week as a way to raise awareness about what to do in the event of a tsunami.  It’s tsunami preparedness week from April 14th to 20th, and many areas of coastal B-C are vulnerable to the massive waves from an earthquake, similar to the 1964 Alaska quake that damaged Port Alberni. 

18 communities hold tsunami preparedness events

Richmond crash lands driver in hospital

Richmond crash lands driver in hospital
Mounties in Richmond are seeking witnesses or dash cam footage of a single vehicle crash that sent the driver to hospital in critical condition. Police say shortly before 10:45 p.m. on April 4th a black Mercedes, was travelling southbound on No 6 Road when it left the road, struck an embankment and landed straddling the ditch.

Richmond crash lands driver in hospital

Murderer found not guilty due to mental illness

Murderer found not guilty due to mental illness
A man who stabbed 79-year-old Eric Kutzner to death in a Nanaimo coffee shop two years ago has been found not criminally responsible on account of a mental disorder.  James Turok was convicted of second-degree murder in a B-C Supreme Court but will instead stay at the provincial forensic psychiatric hospital, Associate Chief Justice Heather Homes has ruled. 

Murderer found not guilty due to mental illness

Drug trafficking arrest in Prince George

Drug trafficking arrest in Prince George
Prince George R-C-M-P say a man has been arrested following an investigation into alleged drug trafficking at a local residence.  Mounties say the man was seen leaving his home in a stolen vehicle during an investigation last week and officers later arrested the driver, who was identified as 42-year-old James Alan Webb.

Drug trafficking arrest in Prince George

Trudeau says he doesn't understand why NDP is pulling back from carbon price support

Trudeau says he doesn't understand why NDP is pulling back from carbon price support
The New Democrats are facing political headwinds when it comes to carbon pricing, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau acknowledged Friday, but he said he doesn't understand why they're pulling back their support. The NDP have long been proponents of the climate policy, and even campaigned on it in the 2019 election. 

Trudeau says he doesn't understand why NDP is pulling back from carbon price support