Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Police in Vancouver probe 'mysterious' fentanyl poisoning

Police in Vancouver probe 'mysterious' fentanyl poisoning
Police in Vancouver say they're investigating how a man mysteriously fell ill from fentanyl poisoning following a brief encounter with a stranger last week. They say in a statement that investigators are focused on how the 56-year-old man, who does not use drugs, was exposed to the powerful opioid, and whether the incident involved a criminal offence.  

Police in Vancouver probe 'mysterious' fentanyl poisoning

BC Gov to launch a pilot to support the restaurant industry

BC Gov to launch a pilot to support the restaurant industry
The B-C government says it's launching a pilot project to support the restaurant industry.  The province says it’s putting 380-thousand dollars into a two-year pilot project to help with recruiting and retaining more workers.  

BC Gov to launch a pilot to support the restaurant industry

Shots fired in Burnaby

Shots fired in Burnaby
Mounties in Burnaby say they're investigating reports of shots being fired on a busy street in the city on Thursday. Police say they located a truck riddled with bullet holes when they arrived, but there were no injuries reported following the shooting.

Shots fired in Burnaby

Can Canadian downtowns find new purpose in a post-office era?

Can Canadian downtowns find new purpose in a post-office era?
Kay Matthews doesn't mince words when asked about the state of businesses fighting to survive in downtown cores across Ontario. The experiences in Ontario's cities are echoed across Canada, as downtowns grapple with high vacancy rates, the post-pandemic work culture and the prospect that crowds of office workers may never return in full.  

Can Canadian downtowns find new purpose in a post-office era?

Housing dominates B.C. legislative session with next election less than a year away

Housing dominates B.C. legislative session with next election less than a year away
The end of the fall legislative session comes less than a year away from B.C.'s expected election, and about three months before the New Democrat government's tabling of its February budget. Finance Minister Katrine Conroy signalled this week it will post a multibillion-dollar deficit and projects economic growth below one per cent.

Housing dominates B.C. legislative session with next election less than a year away

2 min court silence in Ibrahim Ali trial

2 min court silence in Ibrahim Ali trial
The B.C. Supreme Court first-degree murder trial of Ibrahim Ali fell silent for two full minutes as Crown attorney Daniel Porte neared the end of his closing arguments. Porte was illustrating how long it would have taken Ali to strangle the 13-year-old girl he's accused of killing in a Burnaby, B.C., park six years ago, saying Ali would have had to apply "consistent and sustained" pressure.  

2 min court silence in Ibrahim Ali trial