Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

China: Detained Canadian Does Not Have Diplomatic Immunity

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Jan, 2019 09:14 PM

    BEIJING — A former Canadian diplomat detained in China last month does not enjoy diplomatic immunity, a Chinese spokeswoman said Monday, rejecting a complaint from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that the man's rights were being denied.


    Trudeau said last week that Chinese officials were not respecting the diplomatic immunity of Michael Kovrig.


    He was arrested along with Canadian entrepreneur Michael Spavor on vague national security allegations after a top Chinese executive with telecommunications network equipment giant Huawei was detained in Canada on Dec. 1 at the request of Washington.


    However, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying told reporters Monday that Kovrig is no longer a diplomat and entered China on an ordinary passport and business visa.


    "According to the Vienna Convention of Diplomatic Relations and international law, he is not entitled to diplomatic immunity," Hua said at a daily briefing.


    Kovrig, a Northeast Asia analyst for the International Crisis Group think-tank , took a leave of absence from the Canadian government.


    Washington wants Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou — the daughter of the company's founder — extradited to face charges that she misled banks about the company's business dealings in Iran. She is out on bail in Canada and awaiting a bail extradition proceeding next month.


    China's ambassador to Canada accused the country last week of "white supremacy" in calling for the release of the two Canadians, while describing the detentions as an "act of self-defence."


    However, Hua said the allegation that China arbitrarily detained Canadian citizens is "totally groundless."


    On Friday, Poland arrested a Huawei director and one of its own former cybersecurity experts and charged them with spying for China. That comes amid a U.S. campaign to exert pressure on its allies not to use Huawei, the world's biggest maker of telecommunications network equipment, over data security concerns.


    Poland's move has raised concerns over the safety of its nationals in China, although Hua appeared to brush off such worries, emphasizing China's desire for the "sound and steady" development of relations with Poland.


    "As long as the foreign citizens in China abide by Chinese laws and regulations, they are welcomed and their safety and freedom are guaranteed," Hua said.

     

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Passengers Rescued After Whale Watching Vessel Catches Fire In Georgia Strait Off Vancouver

    Passengers Rescued After Whale Watching Vessel Catches Fire In Georgia Strait Off Vancouver
    VANCOUVER — Dozens of people aboard a whale watching boat in the Georgia Strait off Vancouver needed to be rescued Tuesday. 

    Passengers Rescued After Whale Watching Vessel Catches Fire In Georgia Strait Off Vancouver

    B.C. Premier, Green Leader Support Electoral Reform At Referendum Rally

    B.C. Premier, Green Leader Support Electoral Reform At Referendum Rally
    VICTORIA — Those for and against changing British Columbia's provincial voting system to a form proportional representation will soon have a say as residents begin receiving referendum ballots in their mail boxes.

    B.C. Premier, Green Leader Support Electoral Reform At Referendum Rally

    Surrey Assault Victim Dies In Hospital After Fleeing From Police

    Surrey Assault Victim Dies In Hospital After Fleeing From Police
    Later, at approximately 2:40 p.m., on October 21, Surrey RCMP was notified by the BC Coroner Service that the adult male victim had died in the hospital as a result of his injuries.

    Surrey Assault Victim Dies In Hospital After Fleeing From Police

    16-Yr-Old Boy Hospitalized In Surrey Stabbing

    16-Yr-Old Boy Hospitalized In Surrey Stabbing
    A 16-year-old male is in hospital after he was stabbed in Surrey Monday night.

    16-Yr-Old Boy Hospitalized In Surrey Stabbing

    Foreign Nationals Seeking Indian Visas Must Reveal All Criminal Records Now

    Foreign Nationals Seeking Indian Visas Must Reveal All Criminal Records Now
    Foreign nationals applying for Indian visas will now have to declare their criminal records as part of the new visa format approved by the Government to check child sexual abuse and a range of other crimes by travellers.

    Foreign Nationals Seeking Indian Visas Must Reveal All Criminal Records Now

    Surrey Man Arrested, Charged With Wife's Murder

    Surrey Man Arrested, Charged With Wife's Murder
    Rizig Bona was charged Oct. 19 with the slaying of 42-year-old Anida Magaya.

    Surrey Man Arrested, Charged With Wife's Murder