Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

China: Detained Canadian Does Not Have Diplomatic Immunity

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Jan, 2019 09:14 PM

    BEIJING — A former Canadian diplomat detained in China last month does not enjoy diplomatic immunity, a Chinese spokeswoman said Monday, rejecting a complaint from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that the man's rights were being denied.


    Trudeau said last week that Chinese officials were not respecting the diplomatic immunity of Michael Kovrig.


    He was arrested along with Canadian entrepreneur Michael Spavor on vague national security allegations after a top Chinese executive with telecommunications network equipment giant Huawei was detained in Canada on Dec. 1 at the request of Washington.


    However, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying told reporters Monday that Kovrig is no longer a diplomat and entered China on an ordinary passport and business visa.


    "According to the Vienna Convention of Diplomatic Relations and international law, he is not entitled to diplomatic immunity," Hua said at a daily briefing.


    Kovrig, a Northeast Asia analyst for the International Crisis Group think-tank , took a leave of absence from the Canadian government.


    Washington wants Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou — the daughter of the company's founder — extradited to face charges that she misled banks about the company's business dealings in Iran. She is out on bail in Canada and awaiting a bail extradition proceeding next month.


    China's ambassador to Canada accused the country last week of "white supremacy" in calling for the release of the two Canadians, while describing the detentions as an "act of self-defence."


    However, Hua said the allegation that China arbitrarily detained Canadian citizens is "totally groundless."


    On Friday, Poland arrested a Huawei director and one of its own former cybersecurity experts and charged them with spying for China. That comes amid a U.S. campaign to exert pressure on its allies not to use Huawei, the world's biggest maker of telecommunications network equipment, over data security concerns.


    Poland's move has raised concerns over the safety of its nationals in China, although Hua appeared to brush off such worries, emphasizing China's desire for the "sound and steady" development of relations with Poland.


    "As long as the foreign citizens in China abide by Chinese laws and regulations, they are welcomed and their safety and freedom are guaranteed," Hua said.

     

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C. Jury Finds Man Guilty Of Second-Degree Murder Of Japanese Exchange Student

    B.C. Jury Finds Man Guilty Of Second-Degree Murder Of Japanese Exchange Student
    VANCOUVER — A B.C. Supreme Court jury has found William Schneider guilty of the second-degree murder of 30-year-old Natsumi Kogawa two years ago. 

    B.C. Jury Finds Man Guilty Of Second-Degree Murder Of Japanese Exchange Student

    Former Surrey, B.C., Mountie Dario Devic Gets House Arrest After Vigilante Sting

    Former Surrey, B.C., Mountie Dario Devic Gets House Arrest After Vigilante Sting
    Dario Devic has been handed a four-month conditional sentence to be served in the community and 12 months of probation.

    Former Surrey, B.C., Mountie Dario Devic Gets House Arrest After Vigilante Sting

    Greens Broker Changes To B.C. Government'S New Speculation Tax, Pledge Support

    Greens Broker Changes To B.C. Government'S New Speculation Tax, Pledge Support
    VICTORIA — British Columbia's minority government moved to change its key housing policy legislation on Thursday in an effort to win the support of the three members of the Green party.

    Greens Broker Changes To B.C. Government'S New Speculation Tax, Pledge Support

    Threatening Letter Prompts Indigenous Family's Move From Edmonton-Area Condo

    ST. ALBERT, Alta. — Police are investigating after an Indigenous family in an Edmonton-area condominium received a letter that appears to suggest harm may come to them if they don't leave the neighbourhood.

    Threatening Letter Prompts Indigenous Family's Move From Edmonton-Area Condo

    Jury Finds Calgary Couple Guilty In 2013 Death Of Toddler Son

    Jury Finds Calgary Couple Guilty In 2013 Death Of Toddler Son
    A jury has convicted a Calgary couple in the death of their 14-month-old son who never saw a doctor until the day before he died in hospital of a staph infection.

    Jury Finds Calgary Couple Guilty In 2013 Death Of Toddler Son

    ArcelorMittal Canada Given Up To $49.9 Million By Ottawa For Plant Modernization

    ArcelorMittal Canada Given Up To $49.9 Million By Ottawa For Plant Modernization
    HAMILTON — ArcelorMittal Canada Inc. is being given up to $49.9 million from a federal fund to help large steel and aluminum producers deal with the impact of U.S. tariffs.

    ArcelorMittal Canada Given Up To $49.9 Million By Ottawa For Plant Modernization