Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Claims process for First Nations child welfare class action opens in March, AFN says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Feb, 2025 01:54 PM
  • Claims process for First Nations child welfare class action opens in March, AFN says

The Assembly of First Nations says children and their families who lived under Canada's First Nations child welfare system from 1991 to 2022 can apply for a class action settlement starting in March.

National Chief Cindy Woodhouse Nepinak says the settlement is an acknowledgment of the harms First Nations people experienced under a "racist system that has broken so many lives and families."

In 2023, the Federal Court approved a $23 billion settlement to compensate some 300,000 First Nations children and their families for Canada's chronic underfunding of on-reserve child welfare services.

The settlement agreement followed a 2019 Canadian Human Rights Tribunal (CHRT) ruling that ordered Ottawa to pay the maximum penalty for discrimination — $40,000 — to each child inappropriately removed from their homes, as well as their parents or grandparents.

Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs Grand Chief Kyra Wilson says the claims process will be trauma-informed and claimants will not need to relive their experiences, as was the case with other First Nations-led class actions.

The first batch of claims will open March 10 and each claim is expected to take around six to 12 months to process.

MORE National ARTICLES

Fire destroys sports store

Fire destroys sports store
Police in Metro Vancouver say a fire that destroyed a building used to store athletic equipment has been declared suspicious in nature. Delta Police say investigators have yet to identify any suspects in the blaze that occurred near a park in Tsawwassen early in the morning on May 17th.

Fire destroys sports store

2 facing auto theft charges

2 facing auto theft charges
R-C-M-P in Surrey say two men face a series of charges after being found with two stolen vehicles. The Mounties say a report of a stolen work van led police to arrest the two suspects last week.

2 facing auto theft charges

2 in hospital in Vancouver blaze

2 in hospital in Vancouver blaze
Vancouver police are working to determine what caused a fire at an apartment building that sent two people to hospital. Nearly 50 firefighters responded to the blaze in the city's West End this morning.

2 in hospital in Vancouver blaze

Appointment of chief scientific advisor for overdoses

Appointment of chief scientific advisor for overdoses
B-C has announced the appointment of a chief scientific advisor with a focus on people experiencing complex mental health and addictions challenges. The province says psychiatrist and public health specialist Dr. Daniel Vigo will start in the role immediately. 

Appointment of chief scientific advisor for overdoses

Israel denies link to Islamophobic campaign in Canada that Meta says originated there

Israel denies link to Islamophobic campaign in Canada that Meta says originated there
The Israeli government is being accused in published reports of involvement in an operation aimed at reducing support for Palestinians in Canada that was flagged by artificial intelligence researchers. Israel rejects the claim, being reported by the New York Times and Israeli newspaper Haaretz, that it's behind the social-media influence campaign, in which researchers say North Americans are being targeted with Islamophobic content.

Israel denies link to Islamophobic campaign in Canada that Meta says originated there

Raed Jaser, convicted in Via Rail terror plot, loses appeal

Raed Jaser, convicted in Via Rail terror plot, loses appeal
Ontario's highest court has upheld the conviction and life sentence of one of the two men found guilty of terrorism charges in a plot to derail a passenger train between Canada and the U.S. Raed Jaser had challenged the outcome of the 2015 trial on several grounds, including that his case should have been severed from that of his co-accused, Chiheb Esseghaier – something he requested twice, unsuccessfully.

Raed Jaser, convicted in Via Rail terror plot, loses appeal