Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Close Call: Saskatoon Man Hit In Face By Axe Flying Through Windshield

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 May, 2018 11:44 AM
    SASKATOON — A Saskatoon man says he was cut on the forehead and suffered a concussion after an axe came flying through his truck's windshield.
     
     
    Mackenzie Peddle says he doesn't remember getting hit in the face while he was driving home to Saskatoon from Yorkton, Sask., earlier this month.
     
     
    He says when he came to, the truck's windshield was shattered, there was an axe lying near him and blood was spattered over his face and seats.
     
     
    Peddle says he must have passed out after somehow managing to pull over to the side of Highway 16 near the community of Plunkett.
     
     
    The electrician says his foot was on the brake and the truck was still in gear when a passerby approached.
     
     
    RCMP say they are investigating but have no leads as to where the axe came from.
     
     
    "A lady pulled over and woke me up on the side of the road. I didn't really know what happened or how long I'd been out," Peddle told CKOM Radio. 
     
     
    He credits the sunglasses he was wearing for saving his eye from the axe blade.
     
     
    Peddle said he managed to phone RCMP and take some photos of the damage to his face and truck.
     
     
    An officer arrived and took his own photos, then drove up and down the highway to see if any other debris had fallen off a vehicle.
     
     
    "He went around to the farms and farmhouses, but no one had seen anything," Peddle said.
     
     
    Humboldt RCMP said Tuesday they were looking for the public's help in the investigation.
     
     
    Peddle said it's not the first time something has flown through his windshield while he was driving on the highway.
     
     
    He said about a decade ago, he was driving his car when a long piece of rebar fell off a truck, bounced off the pavement and pierced the windshield on the driver's side — missing him by inches.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Vancouver Police Crack Down On Pop-Up Pot Vendors After Weeks-Long Stalemate

    Vancouver Police Crack Down On Pop-Up Pot Vendors After Weeks-Long Stalemate
    VANCOUVER — Police appear to be cracking down on pop-up stalls selling marijuana while frustrations mount over the open-air market operating in a prominent square in downtown Vancouver.

    Vancouver Police Crack Down On Pop-Up Pot Vendors After Weeks-Long Stalemate

    Large Fire Erupts When Truck Carrying Ethanol Hits Train At B.C. Rail Yard

    Large Fire Erupts When Truck Carrying Ethanol Hits Train At B.C. Rail Yard
    Firefighters were still on the scene of a large fire in Port Coquitlam, B.C., late Monday after a collision in a CP Rail yard.

    Large Fire Erupts When Truck Carrying Ethanol Hits Train At B.C. Rail Yard

    Kwantlen Polytechnic University Goes Smoke-Free

    Kwantlen Polytechnic University Goes Smoke-Free
    The university is poised to become only the third post-secondary institution in B.C. to ban smoking on its premises, starting Jan. 21, 2018.

    Kwantlen Polytechnic University Goes Smoke-Free

    Tsunami Fears Send People In B.C. To Higher Ground; Warning Ends After Quake

    Tsunami Fears Send People In B.C. To Higher Ground; Warning Ends After Quake
    VANCOUVER — A tsunami warning issued for coastal British Columbia was cancelled Tuesday morning after people living along parts of the province's coast evacuated to higher ground when a powerful earthquake struck off Alaska.

    Tsunami Fears Send People In B.C. To Higher Ground; Warning Ends After Quake

    Firefighters In Surrey, B.C. Help Develop Software To Combat Overdose Crisis

    Firefighters In Surrey, B.C. Help Develop Software To Combat Overdose Crisis
    The fire department has partnered with Vancouver-based software developer GINQO to create a program that mines data from dispatch calls in real-time to identify clusters of overdoses.

    Firefighters In Surrey, B.C. Help Develop Software To Combat Overdose Crisis

    P.E.I. Legion To Apologize After Sikh Man Reportedly Asked To Remove Headdress

    P.E.I. Legion To Apologize After Sikh Man Reportedly Asked To Remove Headdress
    TIGNISH, P.E.I. — The president of a P.E.I. branch of the Royal Canadian Legion is expected to apologize after a Sikh man was reportedly asked to remove his religious head covering and heckled with racist remarks.

    P.E.I. Legion To Apologize After Sikh Man Reportedly Asked To Remove Headdress