Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Close Call: Saskatoon Man Hit In Face By Axe Flying Through Windshield

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 May, 2018 11:44 AM
    SASKATOON — A Saskatoon man says he was cut on the forehead and suffered a concussion after an axe came flying through his truck's windshield.
     
     
    Mackenzie Peddle says he doesn't remember getting hit in the face while he was driving home to Saskatoon from Yorkton, Sask., earlier this month.
     
     
    He says when he came to, the truck's windshield was shattered, there was an axe lying near him and blood was spattered over his face and seats.
     
     
    Peddle says he must have passed out after somehow managing to pull over to the side of Highway 16 near the community of Plunkett.
     
     
    The electrician says his foot was on the brake and the truck was still in gear when a passerby approached.
     
     
    RCMP say they are investigating but have no leads as to where the axe came from.
     
     
    "A lady pulled over and woke me up on the side of the road. I didn't really know what happened or how long I'd been out," Peddle told CKOM Radio. 
     
     
    He credits the sunglasses he was wearing for saving his eye from the axe blade.
     
     
    Peddle said he managed to phone RCMP and take some photos of the damage to his face and truck.
     
     
    An officer arrived and took his own photos, then drove up and down the highway to see if any other debris had fallen off a vehicle.
     
     
    "He went around to the farms and farmhouses, but no one had seen anything," Peddle said.
     
     
    Humboldt RCMP said Tuesday they were looking for the public's help in the investigation.
     
     
    Peddle said it's not the first time something has flown through his windshield while he was driving on the highway.
     
     
    He said about a decade ago, he was driving his car when a long piece of rebar fell off a truck, bounced off the pavement and pierced the windshield on the driver's side — missing him by inches.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    New Trial Ordered For Sex Worker Who Says She Stabbed Client In Self-Defence

    New Trial Ordered For Sex Worker Who Says She Stabbed Client In Self-Defence
    The woman had been convicted for stabbing Douglas Barrett in the back in his Sydney, N.S., home on Sept. 19, 2015.

    New Trial Ordered For Sex Worker Who Says She Stabbed Client In Self-Defence

    Hijab-Cutting Case Highlights Ethical Issues With Putting Kids In Spotlight: Experts

    Hijab-Cutting Case Highlights Ethical Issues With Putting Kids In Spotlight: Experts
      Police said this week their investigation found the alleged incident didn't happen, just days after the girl and her family gave a detailed account during a high-profile news conference.

    Hijab-Cutting Case Highlights Ethical Issues With Putting Kids In Spotlight: Experts

    After Untrue Hijab Assault, Still Important To Denounce Hate Crimes: Kathleen Wynne

    After Untrue Hijab Assault, Still Important To Denounce Hate Crimes: Kathleen Wynne
    BARRIE, Ont. — Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne is defending her comments against hate crime following an alleged attack on an 11-year-old Toronto girl wearing a hijab that later turned out to be untrue.

    After Untrue Hijab Assault, Still Important To Denounce Hate Crimes: Kathleen Wynne

    Halifax Police Lay Charges In Heckling Of CTV Reporter During Live Broadcast

    Halifax Police Lay Charges In Heckling Of CTV Reporter During Live Broadcast
    HALIFAX — A 25-year-old man has been charged after a crass taunt was hurled at a female reporter as she was broadcasting live from a Halifax pub.

    Halifax Police Lay Charges In Heckling Of CTV Reporter During Live Broadcast

    Police Don't Think They'll Charge The Mother Of Allegedly Abandoned Baby

    Toronto police say they don't believe they'll lay charges against the mother of a newborn baby boy who was allegedly abandoned Tuesday morning outside a commercial building.

    Police Don't Think They'll Charge The Mother Of Allegedly Abandoned Baby

    Change In Politics, Society On Sexual Misconduct 'Not Fast Enough,' Says Trudeau

    Change In Politics, Society On Sexual Misconduct 'Not Fast Enough,' Says Trudeau
    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he believes society is still lagging behind the systemic changes he is trying to make on Parliament Hill when it comes to preventing and responding to sexual harassment and other inappropriate behaviour.

    Change In Politics, Society On Sexual Misconduct 'Not Fast Enough,' Says Trudeau