Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Close Call: Saskatoon Man Hit In Face By Axe Flying Through Windshield

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 May, 2018 11:44 AM
    SASKATOON — A Saskatoon man says he was cut on the forehead and suffered a concussion after an axe came flying through his truck's windshield.
     
     
    Mackenzie Peddle says he doesn't remember getting hit in the face while he was driving home to Saskatoon from Yorkton, Sask., earlier this month.
     
     
    He says when he came to, the truck's windshield was shattered, there was an axe lying near him and blood was spattered over his face and seats.
     
     
    Peddle says he must have passed out after somehow managing to pull over to the side of Highway 16 near the community of Plunkett.
     
     
    The electrician says his foot was on the brake and the truck was still in gear when a passerby approached.
     
     
    RCMP say they are investigating but have no leads as to where the axe came from.
     
     
    "A lady pulled over and woke me up on the side of the road. I didn't really know what happened or how long I'd been out," Peddle told CKOM Radio. 
     
     
    He credits the sunglasses he was wearing for saving his eye from the axe blade.
     
     
    Peddle said he managed to phone RCMP and take some photos of the damage to his face and truck.
     
     
    An officer arrived and took his own photos, then drove up and down the highway to see if any other debris had fallen off a vehicle.
     
     
    "He went around to the farms and farmhouses, but no one had seen anything," Peddle said.
     
     
    Humboldt RCMP said Tuesday they were looking for the public's help in the investigation.
     
     
    Peddle said it's not the first time something has flown through his windshield while he was driving on the highway.
     
     
    He said about a decade ago, he was driving his car when a long piece of rebar fell off a truck, bounced off the pavement and pierced the windshield on the driver's side — missing him by inches.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    First-Degree Murder Charges Against 3 Men After Alberta Man Found Dead In B.C.

    First-Degree Murder Charges Against 3 Men After Alberta Man Found Dead In B.C.
    The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 20-year-old Michael Bonin's body was found on a rural forest service road north of Hope on April 20, 2017.

    First-Degree Murder Charges Against 3 Men After Alberta Man Found Dead In B.C.

    Innocent teen dead In 'Brazen' Vancouver Shooting

    Innocent teen dead In 'Brazen' Vancouver Shooting
    A 15-year-old from Coquitlam, B.C., who was driving through the area when the shots were fired, was also seriously injured and taken to hospital.

    Innocent teen dead In 'Brazen' Vancouver Shooting

    Toronto Police Say Hijab-Cutting Incident Never Happened, Investigation Is Closed

    Toronto Police Say Hijab-Cutting Incident Never Happened, Investigation Is Closed
    A Toronto police investigation has concluded that an incident reported by an 11-year-old girl who claimed her hijab was cut by a scissors-wielding man as she walked to school did not happen.

    Toronto Police Say Hijab-Cutting Incident Never Happened, Investigation Is Closed

    Global News Journalist Files $900k Wrongful Arrest Suit Against Hamilton Police

    Global News Journalist Files $900k Wrongful Arrest Suit Against Hamilton Police
    A Global News journalist who was briefly arrested while covering a fatal crash last year has filed a lawsuit against Hamilton police, alleging an officer used excessive force in an effort to prevent him from filming.

    Global News Journalist Files $900k Wrongful Arrest Suit Against Hamilton Police

    Special Avalanche Warning Issued For B.C. Mountains Toward Alberta Border

    REVELSTOKE, B.C. — A special avalanche warning has been issued for recreational backcountry users in mountains stretching through south and central British Columbia.

    Special Avalanche Warning Issued For B.C. Mountains Toward Alberta Border

    'It's Surreal:’ Daughter Numb After Winnipeg Couple Killed In Jamaica

    'It's Surreal:’ Daughter Numb After Winnipeg Couple Killed In Jamaica
      WINNIPEG — The daughter of a Winnipeg couple killed in Jamaica says she will travel there to see her parents one last time and make sure their deaths are thoroughly investigated. 

    'It's Surreal:’ Daughter Numb After Winnipeg Couple Killed In Jamaica