Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Close Call: Saskatoon Man Hit In Face By Axe Flying Through Windshield

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 May, 2018 11:44 AM
    SASKATOON — A Saskatoon man says he was cut on the forehead and suffered a concussion after an axe came flying through his truck's windshield.
     
     
    Mackenzie Peddle says he doesn't remember getting hit in the face while he was driving home to Saskatoon from Yorkton, Sask., earlier this month.
     
     
    He says when he came to, the truck's windshield was shattered, there was an axe lying near him and blood was spattered over his face and seats.
     
     
    Peddle says he must have passed out after somehow managing to pull over to the side of Highway 16 near the community of Plunkett.
     
     
    The electrician says his foot was on the brake and the truck was still in gear when a passerby approached.
     
     
    RCMP say they are investigating but have no leads as to where the axe came from.
     
     
    "A lady pulled over and woke me up on the side of the road. I didn't really know what happened or how long I'd been out," Peddle told CKOM Radio. 
     
     
    He credits the sunglasses he was wearing for saving his eye from the axe blade.
     
     
    Peddle said he managed to phone RCMP and take some photos of the damage to his face and truck.
     
     
    An officer arrived and took his own photos, then drove up and down the highway to see if any other debris had fallen off a vehicle.
     
     
    "He went around to the farms and farmhouses, but no one had seen anything," Peddle said.
     
     
    Humboldt RCMP said Tuesday they were looking for the public's help in the investigation.
     
     
    Peddle said it's not the first time something has flown through his windshield while he was driving on the highway.
     
     
    He said about a decade ago, he was driving his car when a long piece of rebar fell off a truck, bounced off the pavement and pierced the windshield on the driver's side — missing him by inches.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Low Uptake For New Immigration Program In Nova Scotia, Numbers Reveal

    Lena Diab says she remains optimistic the program will be a "wonderful tool" — it's aimed at attracting and retaining skilled immigrants for the workforce, as a way of supporting population growth and addressing labour shortages.

    Low Uptake For New Immigration Program In Nova Scotia, Numbers Reveal

    Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference

    Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference
    The mother of a University of Calgary student convicted of sexual interference says the school has asked him to stay away from campus as an online petition demanding that he be expelled grows.

    Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference

    City Of Calgary Cancels Nudist Swim At Public Pool Due To Security Concerns

    City Of Calgary Cancels Nudist Swim At Public Pool Due To Security Concerns
    City Of Calgary Has Cancelled A NudistSwim At A Public Pool Over Security Concerns

    City Of Calgary Cancels Nudist Swim At Public Pool Due To Security Concerns

    Neighbours Take Burnaby Condo Owner To Court Over Allegations Of Prostitution

    Neighbours Take Burnaby Condo Owner To Court Over Allegations Of Prostitution
      Court documents say residents of the building in Burnaby, B.C., started raising concerns in August 2015 about visitors and disturbances at a unit owned by Christopher Nino Diopita.

    Neighbours Take Burnaby Condo Owner To Court Over Allegations Of Prostitution

    Victoria Police Warn About Syringes After Second Person Pricked By Uncapped Needle

    Victoria Police Warn About Syringes After Second Person Pricked By Uncapped Needle
    Victoria police are issuing a public warning after a woman was pricked by a syringe, the second person to be injured by a hypodermic needle in the past few days.

    Victoria Police Warn About Syringes After Second Person Pricked By Uncapped Needle

    New Brunswick Announces Plan To Provide FREE CHILD CARE To Low Income Families

    Premier Brian Gallant says providing access to free child care will give low-income parents every opportunity to enter the workforce or pursue their studies.

    New Brunswick Announces Plan To Provide FREE CHILD CARE To Low Income Families