Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Close Call: Saskatoon Man Hit In Face By Axe Flying Through Windshield

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 May, 2018 11:44 AM
    SASKATOON — A Saskatoon man says he was cut on the forehead and suffered a concussion after an axe came flying through his truck's windshield.
     
     
    Mackenzie Peddle says he doesn't remember getting hit in the face while he was driving home to Saskatoon from Yorkton, Sask., earlier this month.
     
     
    He says when he came to, the truck's windshield was shattered, there was an axe lying near him and blood was spattered over his face and seats.
     
     
    Peddle says he must have passed out after somehow managing to pull over to the side of Highway 16 near the community of Plunkett.
     
     
    The electrician says his foot was on the brake and the truck was still in gear when a passerby approached.
     
     
    RCMP say they are investigating but have no leads as to where the axe came from.
     
     
    "A lady pulled over and woke me up on the side of the road. I didn't really know what happened or how long I'd been out," Peddle told CKOM Radio. 
     
     
    He credits the sunglasses he was wearing for saving his eye from the axe blade.
     
     
    Peddle said he managed to phone RCMP and take some photos of the damage to his face and truck.
     
     
    An officer arrived and took his own photos, then drove up and down the highway to see if any other debris had fallen off a vehicle.
     
     
    "He went around to the farms and farmhouses, but no one had seen anything," Peddle said.
     
     
    Humboldt RCMP said Tuesday they were looking for the public's help in the investigation.
     
     
    Peddle said it's not the first time something has flown through his windshield while he was driving on the highway.
     
     
    He said about a decade ago, he was driving his car when a long piece of rebar fell off a truck, bounced off the pavement and pierced the windshield on the driver's side — missing him by inches.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    17-Year-Old Girl's US Dream Comes True After Sushma Swaraj Intervenes

    The visa was confirmed yesterday after the intervention of External Affair Minister, a Rajasthan government release said.

    17-Year-Old Girl's US Dream Comes True After Sushma Swaraj Intervenes

    Two Local Men Charged For Armed Robberies In Langley

    Two Local Men Charged For Armed Robberies In Langley
    Two men have been charged in relation to three armed robberies in Langley in the month of December.

    Two Local Men Charged For Armed Robberies In Langley

    Muslim Group Asks For Jan. 29 Day Of Remembrance For 2017 Mosque Shooting

    Muslim Group Asks For Jan. 29 Day Of Remembrance For 2017 Mosque Shooting
    One of Canada's most prominent Muslim groups is asking Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to designate the anniversary of the 2017 Quebec City mosque shooting as an official day of remembrance.

    Muslim Group Asks For Jan. 29 Day Of Remembrance For 2017 Mosque Shooting

    College Suspends Labrador Obstetrician After Two Baby Deaths In 2014

    College Suspends Labrador Obstetrician After Two Baby Deaths In 2014
    ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — A Labrador obstetrician has been ordered to serve a three-month suspension and apologize after the deaths of two babies in 2014.

    College Suspends Labrador Obstetrician After Two Baby Deaths In 2014

    Franchisees' Cuts To Paid Breaks And Benefits Is 'Reckless,' Says Tim Hortons

    Franchisees' Cuts To Paid Breaks And Benefits Is 'Reckless,' Says Tim Hortons
    TORONTO — Tim Hortons' Canadian headquarters has waded into a brewing controversy stemming from this week's minimum wage hike in Ontario, calling the elimination of paid breaks and benefits for employees at certain locations "reckless".

    Franchisees' Cuts To Paid Breaks And Benefits Is 'Reckless,' Says Tim Hortons

    Feds Agree To Open Toronto Armoury To Homeless Amid Frigid Temperatures

    Feds Agree To Open Toronto Armoury To Homeless Amid Frigid Temperatures
    TORONTO — Canada's public safety minister says a downtown armoury in Toronto is being opened as a temporary homeless shelter for two weeks.

    Feds Agree To Open Toronto Armoury To Homeless Amid Frigid Temperatures