Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Close Call: Saskatoon Man Hit In Face By Axe Flying Through Windshield

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 May, 2018 11:44 AM
    SASKATOON — A Saskatoon man says he was cut on the forehead and suffered a concussion after an axe came flying through his truck's windshield.
     
     
    Mackenzie Peddle says he doesn't remember getting hit in the face while he was driving home to Saskatoon from Yorkton, Sask., earlier this month.
     
     
    He says when he came to, the truck's windshield was shattered, there was an axe lying near him and blood was spattered over his face and seats.
     
     
    Peddle says he must have passed out after somehow managing to pull over to the side of Highway 16 near the community of Plunkett.
     
     
    The electrician says his foot was on the brake and the truck was still in gear when a passerby approached.
     
     
    RCMP say they are investigating but have no leads as to where the axe came from.
     
     
    "A lady pulled over and woke me up on the side of the road. I didn't really know what happened or how long I'd been out," Peddle told CKOM Radio. 
     
     
    He credits the sunglasses he was wearing for saving his eye from the axe blade.
     
     
    Peddle said he managed to phone RCMP and take some photos of the damage to his face and truck.
     
     
    An officer arrived and took his own photos, then drove up and down the highway to see if any other debris had fallen off a vehicle.
     
     
    "He went around to the farms and farmhouses, but no one had seen anything," Peddle said.
     
     
    Humboldt RCMP said Tuesday they were looking for the public's help in the investigation.
     
     
    Peddle said it's not the first time something has flown through his windshield while he was driving on the highway.
     
     
    He said about a decade ago, he was driving his car when a long piece of rebar fell off a truck, bounced off the pavement and pierced the windshield on the driver's side — missing him by inches.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Tens Of Thousands Still Without Power After British Columbia Ice Storms

    Tens Of Thousands Still Without Power After British Columbia Ice Storms
    Freezing Rain Knocked Out Power To More Than 5,000 Customers, Most In Abbotsford And Mission

    Tens Of Thousands Still Without Power After British Columbia Ice Storms

    Successful Campaign To Cut Thefts From Auto Leads To Arrests In Vancouver

    Successful Campaign To Cut Thefts From Auto Leads To Arrests In Vancouver
    Const. Jason Doucette says concerns were raised after the number of thefts jumped dramatically in November compared with the same time last year.

    Successful Campaign To Cut Thefts From Auto Leads To Arrests In Vancouver

    Group Of Montreal Work Colleagues Win $60-Million Lotto Max Jackpot

    Group Of Montreal Work Colleagues Win $60-Million Lotto Max Jackpot
    MONTREAL — A somewhat secretive group of Montrealers who recently won the $60-million Lotto Max grand prize picked up their cheques Wednesday and were presented to the media.

    Group Of Montreal Work Colleagues Win $60-Million Lotto Max Jackpot

    Feds Axe $1,000 Fee For Certain Families To Hire Foreign Nannies, Caregivers

    Feds Axe $1,000 Fee For Certain Families To Hire Foreign Nannies, Caregivers
    OTTAWA — Some families seeking foreign caregivers to look after their children or family members with a disability will be exempt from paying a $1,000 application fee.

    Feds Axe $1,000 Fee For Certain Families To Hire Foreign Nannies, Caregivers

    Group Raises Money To Fund New Home For Survivor Of Quebec City Mosque Shooting

    Group Raises Money To Fund New Home For Survivor Of Quebec City Mosque Shooting
    Aymen Derbali, a father of three, was one of the more than 50 people inside the mosque when a shooter opened fire last Jan. 29, killing six.

    Group Raises Money To Fund New Home For Survivor Of Quebec City Mosque Shooting

    Second Alberta Teen Dies After Being Found Unconscious In Idling Car

    EDMONTON — A second teenager has died after he and his girlfriend were found unconscious in an idling vehicle in central Alberta.

    Second Alberta Teen Dies After Being Found Unconscious In Idling Car