Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Close Call: Saskatoon Man Hit In Face By Axe Flying Through Windshield

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 May, 2018 11:44 AM
    SASKATOON — A Saskatoon man says he was cut on the forehead and suffered a concussion after an axe came flying through his truck's windshield.
     
     
    Mackenzie Peddle says he doesn't remember getting hit in the face while he was driving home to Saskatoon from Yorkton, Sask., earlier this month.
     
     
    He says when he came to, the truck's windshield was shattered, there was an axe lying near him and blood was spattered over his face and seats.
     
     
    Peddle says he must have passed out after somehow managing to pull over to the side of Highway 16 near the community of Plunkett.
     
     
    The electrician says his foot was on the brake and the truck was still in gear when a passerby approached.
     
     
    RCMP say they are investigating but have no leads as to where the axe came from.
     
     
    "A lady pulled over and woke me up on the side of the road. I didn't really know what happened or how long I'd been out," Peddle told CKOM Radio. 
     
     
    He credits the sunglasses he was wearing for saving his eye from the axe blade.
     
     
    Peddle said he managed to phone RCMP and take some photos of the damage to his face and truck.
     
     
    An officer arrived and took his own photos, then drove up and down the highway to see if any other debris had fallen off a vehicle.
     
     
    "He went around to the farms and farmhouses, but no one had seen anything," Peddle said.
     
     
    Humboldt RCMP said Tuesday they were looking for the public's help in the investigation.
     
     
    Peddle said it's not the first time something has flown through his windshield while he was driving on the highway.
     
     
    He said about a decade ago, he was driving his car when a long piece of rebar fell off a truck, bounced off the pavement and pierced the windshield on the driver's side — missing him by inches.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C. Pharmacies Handing Out Free Naloxone Kits To Combat Overdose Crisis

    B.C. Pharmacies Handing Out Free Naloxone Kits To Combat Overdose Crisis
    Pharmacies across British Columbia will distribute take-home doses of the overdose-reversing drug naloxone to help combat the ongoing opioid crisis.

    B.C. Pharmacies Handing Out Free Naloxone Kits To Combat Overdose Crisis

    RCMP Say No Suspects Sought After Fatal Shooting Of Two B.C. Men

    RCMP Say No Suspects Sought After Fatal Shooting Of Two B.C. Men
    NAKUSP, B.C. — Mounties are investigating the deaths of two men after a shooting in the Central Kootenay region of British Columbia.

    RCMP Say No Suspects Sought After Fatal Shooting Of Two B.C. Men

    B.C. Snow Storm Leaves 19,000 Without Power After Storm; Down From 75,000

    VICTORIA — BC Hydro says about 19,000 customers remain without power because of heavy, wet snow and freezing rain.

    B.C. Snow Storm Leaves 19,000 Without Power After Storm; Down From 75,000

    Abbotsford Police Remember Fallen Officer Const. John Davidson In Annual Christmas Card

    Abbotsford Police Remember Fallen Officer Const. John Davidson In Annual Christmas Card
    ABBOTSFORD, B.C. — The Abbotsford Police Department has created its annual Christmas card after a challenging year that included the fatal shooting of Const. John Davidson.

    Abbotsford Police Remember Fallen Officer Const. John Davidson In Annual Christmas Card

    Ex-Mountie Tim Shields Charged With Sex Assault Found Not Guilty

    Ex-Mountie Tim Shields Charged With Sex Assault Found Not Guilty
    VANCOUVER — A provincial court judge has found former British Columbia RCMP inspector Tim Shields not guilty of sexual assault.

    Ex-Mountie Tim Shields Charged With Sex Assault Found Not Guilty

    Richmond, B.C. Mountie Brian Eden Fired After Sending Texts, Photos To Teen In Sex-Assault Case

    Richmond, B.C. Mountie Brian Eden Fired After Sending Texts, Photos To Teen In Sex-Assault Case
    Last month's conduct board decision says former constable Brian Eden's behaviour undermines the public confidence in the force and the RCMP has now dismissed him.

    Richmond, B.C. Mountie Brian Eden Fired After Sending Texts, Photos To Teen In Sex-Assault Case