Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Commission report recommends Canada Post phase out daily door-to-door mail delivery

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 May, 2025 10:24 AM
  • Commission report recommends Canada Post phase out daily door-to-door mail delivery

The Industrial Inquiry Commission report on the labour dispute at Canada Post recommends phasing out daily door-to-door letter mail delivery for individual addresses, while daily delivery to businesses should be maintained. 

It also says the moratoriums on rural post office closures and community mailbox conversions should be lifted. 

"My recommendations are based on my conclusion that there is a way to preserve Canada Post as a vital national institution," commissioner William Kaplan wrote in the report released Friday.

"I have designed them to respond to the present problem: to arrest and then reverse the growing financial losses by putting into place the necessary structural changes both within and outside the collective agreements."

The report was called for after Ottawa asked the federal labour board to send postal employees back to work last year to end a strike that was disrupting holiday mail deliveries.

The report examined the state of Canada Post and its finances, in relation to reaching a labour deal. 

Kaplan wrote that Canada Post is facing an existential crisis and is effectively insolvent.

"Without thoughtful, measured, staged, but immediate changes, its fiscal situation will continue to deteriorate," he wrote.

Kaplan said that until recently Canada Post was able to operate in a financially sustainable manner as low-cost urban and suburban mail delivery subsidized high-cost delivery to rural, remote, and Indigenous communities.

"This model no longer works because the traditional core business – mail delivery – has fundamentally changed: fewer letters must now be delivered to more addresses," he wrote. 

Among its other recommendations, it says Canada Post must have the flexibility to hire part-time employees to deliver parcels on the weekend and to assist with volume during the week.

It also says Canada Post must also be able to change routes daily to reflect volumes.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christinne Muschi

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. selects nine wind power projects to boost energy supply by eight per cent a year

B.C. selects nine wind power projects to boost energy supply by eight per cent a year
Premier David Eby says BC Hydro, a Crown utility, has selected the projects following a strong response to its call for new renewable power-generation operations.

B.C. selects nine wind power projects to boost energy supply by eight per cent a year

Feds send $148 million to B.C. in disaster recovery funds for floods, wildfires

Feds send $148 million to B.C. in disaster recovery funds for floods, wildfires
The federal government says B.C. saw more than 4,000 wildfires in the two years, with 223 evacuations orders and 431 alerts affecting about 192,000 residents overall.

Feds send $148 million to B.C. in disaster recovery funds for floods, wildfires

State memorial for former B.C. premier Horgan open to the public, requires tickets

State memorial for former B.C. premier Horgan open to the public, requires tickets
Anyone wishing to attend the upcoming provincial state memorial service for former premier John Horgan is being asked to reserve free tickets. Horgan's service will be held Sunday at the Q Centre in Colwood, west of Victoria, which has a capacity for about 4,000 people.

State memorial for former B.C. premier Horgan open to the public, requires tickets

2 charged in the homicide of a Surrey resident from 3 years ago

2 charged in the homicide of a Surrey resident from 3 years ago
Police say two men been have been charged in the death of 38-year-old Surrey resident Kenneth Thomas Howe in August 2021. An update from the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says a 38-year-old man has now been charged with second-degree murder, while investigators found evidence indicating a 34-year-old man was involved after the death.

2 charged in the homicide of a Surrey resident from 3 years ago

GST break would cost Ottawa $2.7B if provinces with HST asked for compensation

GST break would cost Ottawa $2.7B if provinces with HST asked for compensation
The federal government's GST holiday would cost as much as $2.7 billion if provinces with a harmonized sales tax asked for compensation, the parliamentary budget officer said on Monday. But the decision from some provinces with an HST not to demand compensation for their portion of lost revenue lessens the cost on Ottawa significantly. 

GST break would cost Ottawa $2.7B if provinces with HST asked for compensation

Avian flu at another farm

Avian flu at another farm
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says avian flu has been detected at another commercial poultry farm in Abbotsford.  The agency says there are now 66 locations in B-C where the virus has been found.

Avian flu at another farm