Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Commission report recommends Canada Post phase out daily door-to-door mail delivery

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 May, 2025 10:24 AM
  • Commission report recommends Canada Post phase out daily door-to-door mail delivery

The Industrial Inquiry Commission report on the labour dispute at Canada Post recommends phasing out daily door-to-door letter mail delivery for individual addresses, while daily delivery to businesses should be maintained. 

It also says the moratoriums on rural post office closures and community mailbox conversions should be lifted. 

"My recommendations are based on my conclusion that there is a way to preserve Canada Post as a vital national institution," commissioner William Kaplan wrote in the report released Friday.

"I have designed them to respond to the present problem: to arrest and then reverse the growing financial losses by putting into place the necessary structural changes both within and outside the collective agreements."

The report was called for after Ottawa asked the federal labour board to send postal employees back to work last year to end a strike that was disrupting holiday mail deliveries.

The report examined the state of Canada Post and its finances, in relation to reaching a labour deal. 

Kaplan wrote that Canada Post is facing an existential crisis and is effectively insolvent.

"Without thoughtful, measured, staged, but immediate changes, its fiscal situation will continue to deteriorate," he wrote.

Kaplan said that until recently Canada Post was able to operate in a financially sustainable manner as low-cost urban and suburban mail delivery subsidized high-cost delivery to rural, remote, and Indigenous communities.

"This model no longer works because the traditional core business – mail delivery – has fundamentally changed: fewer letters must now be delivered to more addresses," he wrote. 

Among its other recommendations, it says Canada Post must have the flexibility to hire part-time employees to deliver parcels on the weekend and to assist with volume during the week.

It also says Canada Post must also be able to change routes daily to reflect volumes.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christinne Muschi

MORE National ARTICLES

Hiker missing in B.C. wilderness for more than five weeks is found alive

Hiker missing in B.C. wilderness for more than five weeks is found alive
Police say a hiker who was reported missing more than five weeks ago amid frigid conditions in northern British Columbia has been found alive. Northern Rockies RCMP say Sam Benastick was spotted on Tuesday when he flagged down two workers on a trail to Redfern Lake, about 250 kilometres southwest of Fort Nelson.

Hiker missing in B.C. wilderness for more than five weeks is found alive

After record-breaking warmth, winter to 'salvage its reputation': Weather Network

After record-breaking warmth, winter to 'salvage its reputation': Weather Network
Canada's warmest winter on record is unlikely to make a repeat performance this year, The Weather Network's chief meteorologist says, as a new seasonal forecast suggests the season will try to "salvage its reputation." Chris Scott says the forecast suggests this winter will be generally colder and more impactful than last year, which saw the warmest winter on record — but it still won't be a "start to finish blockbuster" for any of Canada's regions. 

After record-breaking warmth, winter to 'salvage its reputation': Weather Network

Supreme Court of Canada sides with First Nation in police funding dispute

Supreme Court of Canada sides with First Nation in police funding dispute
The Quebec Court of Appeal ruled in December 2022 that the provincial and federal governments owed almost $1.6 million to the First Nation in Mashteuiatsh, Que., to make up for years of underfunding. The federal government agreed to pay its share of the money, but Quebec asked the Supreme Court to overturn the decision.

Supreme Court of Canada sides with First Nation in police funding dispute

988 suicide helpline takes more than 300K calls, texts in its first year

988 suicide helpline takes more than 300K calls, texts in its first year
The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health says responders have fielded more than 300,000 calls and texts since the launch of the national 988 suicide helpline a year ago. Dr. Allison Crawford, the chief medical officer for the helpline, says people having suicidal thoughts or other mental health distress can get help 24 hours a day, seven days a week no matter where they live in Canada. 

988 suicide helpline takes more than 300K calls, texts in its first year

Some Liberal MPs echo NDP call to expand $250 rebate, minister touts seniors benefits

Some Liberal MPs echo NDP call to expand $250 rebate, minister touts seniors benefits
Some Liberal MPs say they think their government should consider expanding the eligibility for an upcoming government rebate to include seniors who are no longer working. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau last week said the government was responding to concerns about the cost of living by temporarily taking the federal sales tax off certain goods and sending $250 cheques to working Canadians in the spring.

Some Liberal MPs echo NDP call to expand $250 rebate, minister touts seniors benefits

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says
Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says