Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Commission report recommends Canada Post phase out daily door-to-door mail delivery

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 May, 2025 10:24 AM
  • Commission report recommends Canada Post phase out daily door-to-door mail delivery

The Industrial Inquiry Commission report on the labour dispute at Canada Post recommends phasing out daily door-to-door letter mail delivery for individual addresses, while daily delivery to businesses should be maintained. 

It also says the moratoriums on rural post office closures and community mailbox conversions should be lifted. 

"My recommendations are based on my conclusion that there is a way to preserve Canada Post as a vital national institution," commissioner William Kaplan wrote in the report released Friday.

"I have designed them to respond to the present problem: to arrest and then reverse the growing financial losses by putting into place the necessary structural changes both within and outside the collective agreements."

The report was called for after Ottawa asked the federal labour board to send postal employees back to work last year to end a strike that was disrupting holiday mail deliveries.

The report examined the state of Canada Post and its finances, in relation to reaching a labour deal. 

Kaplan wrote that Canada Post is facing an existential crisis and is effectively insolvent.

"Without thoughtful, measured, staged, but immediate changes, its fiscal situation will continue to deteriorate," he wrote.

Kaplan said that until recently Canada Post was able to operate in a financially sustainable manner as low-cost urban and suburban mail delivery subsidized high-cost delivery to rural, remote, and Indigenous communities.

"This model no longer works because the traditional core business – mail delivery – has fundamentally changed: fewer letters must now be delivered to more addresses," he wrote. 

Among its other recommendations, it says Canada Post must have the flexibility to hire part-time employees to deliver parcels on the weekend and to assist with volume during the week.

It also says Canada Post must also be able to change routes daily to reflect volumes.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christinne Muschi

MORE National ARTICLES

'All bets are off': B.C. pulls liquor, changes procurement after U.S. tariffs

'All bets are off': B.C. pulls liquor, changes procurement after U.S. tariffs
British Columbia Premier David Eby says the province and the country is strong enough to weather the storm in the threat to Canada's sovereignty coming from a former friend. Eby took the unusual step of interrupting B.C.'s budget lockup to address how the province will respond after U.S. President Donald Trump imposed tariffs on Canadian goods.

'All bets are off': B.C. pulls liquor, changes procurement after U.S. tariffs

B.C. budget to buffer province against Trump's 'uncertainty and disorder': minister

B.C. budget to buffer province against Trump's 'uncertainty and disorder': minister
Brenda Bailey's budget is being handed down on the same day that Trump says a 25 per cent U.S. tariff will be placed on Canadian goods, while Canadian energy will face 10 per cent tariffs. Bailey says Trump's tariffs came "completely out of nowhere" when he announced them last November and they've already changed B.C.'s financial circumstances.

B.C. budget to buffer province against Trump's 'uncertainty and disorder': minister

Poilievre says Canadian counter-tariffs should go to fund tax cuts

Poilievre says Canadian counter-tariffs should go to fund tax cuts
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says Canada needs to retaliate against American tariffs by targeting U.S. goods Canada can make, does not need or can obtain elsewhere. Poilievre says Canada needs to cut taxes to counteract the domestic impact of tariffs and points to the carbon price, the capital gains tax and income tax.

Poilievre says Canadian counter-tariffs should go to fund tax cuts

Canadians say they will stop buying U.S. products as Trump’s tariffs take effect

Canadians say they will stop buying U.S. products as Trump’s tariffs take effect
Canadians say they are ready to use their wallets to fight the trade war with the United States, which began today as President Donald Trump imposed 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods. Haligonians interviewed today said they are focused on buying Canadian whenever possible, and many said they had already stopped purchasing American products, as Trump had been threatening tariffs for months.

Canadians say they will stop buying U.S. products as Trump’s tariffs take effect

How Canadians are reacting to Donald Trump's tariffs

How Canadians are reacting to Donald Trump's tariffs
Canada is immediately imposing 25 per cent retaliatory tariffs on $30 billion worth of American products, and will expand that to cover another $125 billion in U.S. goods in 21 days. Here’s how political, business and union leaders reacted Tuesday.

How Canadians are reacting to Donald Trump's tariffs

The trade war is on between Canada and the U.S. Here's what you need to know

The trade war is on between Canada and the U.S. Here's what you need to know
A trade war between Canada and its largest trading partner has begun, with tariffs imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump now in effect and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau responding with a package of retaliatory tariffs. Stocks are tumbling, businesses are warning of impending layoffs and further measures from both countries are likely in the coming days.

The trade war is on between Canada and the U.S. Here's what you need to know