Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Conservative MPs beat Liberals, NDP on online engagement, study finds

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Mar, 2025 10:25 AM
  • Conservative MPs beat Liberals, NDP on online engagement, study finds

A new study from McGill University says Conservative MPs far outpace their Liberal and NDP counterparts in online engagement, partly due to the their voices being amplified on X.

The report from McGill’s Media Ecosystem Observatory found in 2024, online posts from federal Conservative MPs garnered 61 per cent more engagement — likes, shares and comments — than those from Liberal and NDP MPs combined. 

It found that engagement with Conservative politicians on X has increased 52 per cent since Elon Musk, a key ally of U.S. President Donald Trump, took over the platform previously known as Twitter in 2022.

The report looked at online posts from all members of Parliament on Facebook, Instagram, X, YouTube and TikTok between January 2022 and November 2024.

"The major shift that has happened over the past year that makes that number so large is really that increase on X," said Aengus Bridgman, director of the Media Ecosystem Observatory.

"Right-wing voices were doing a little bit better in the early days of Musk but it's really 2024 where that amplification has really kicked in."

The report says that if the increased engagement by the Conservatives was due to the party growing in popularity, other platforms would have shown the same trend — but that wasn’t what the researchers found when they compared X to Instagram.

Bridgman said there is no good evidence to indicate that the boost to Conservative voices is being created deliberately by engineers at X. Instead, he said, it’s more that the algorithms work in a self-fulfilling cycle, or a positive feedback loop.

"Content gets amplified on that platform when it performs well. And when new content gets posted, it's going to look at its similarity with existing content that did well," he said.

"As right-wing content does better on the platform, all subsequent right-wing content is also going to do better."

There's also the outsized influence of Musk himself, whose reach on X surpasses that of everyone else, Bridgman said.

"One of the major shifts, particularly in the last year, is just Musk starting to amplify and produce very right-wing ideas on that platform … his ability to incentivize the algorithm to show additional content like that is very large," he said.

The findings are significant with a federal election call expected within days or weeks, Bridgman said, because X — despite changes under Musk — continues to be the public square for politics.

When Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland quit cabinet in December — a move that eventually led to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's resignation — she did it by posting a scathing resignation letter on X.

"There are many other venues for having that discussion, but the place where Canadian politicians are active, the place where Canadian politicians continue to campaign and to share their messaging, does still continue to be X," Bridgman said.

Musk is playing a key role in the Trump administration — just as the U.S. president has been issuing threats to annex Canada. Bridgman said that means X may be used to push messages that don't support Canada's national interests.

He said that if X is "distorted in favour of content that is promoted by Musk and Trump and others south of the border, then we have a potential issue where our major public square is primed and is available to be used to amplify content that is not necessarily in Canadians' best interest."

MORE National ARTICLES

Border agency says changes to hours at 35 land crossings coming in January

Border agency says changes to hours at 35 land crossings coming in January
The Canada Border Services Agency says it will be adjusting hours at 35 land ports of entry in January -- a move it says will allow it to deploy officers at busier land crossings. Only one crossing in Alberta will be affected -- the facility at Del Bonita -- where hours will be 9 to 5, seven days a week, beginning January 6.

Border agency says changes to hours at 35 land crossings coming in January

Ottawa seeks project pitches to for new mental health fund aimed at youth

Ottawa seeks project pitches to for new mental health fund aimed at youth
Health and Addictions Minister Ya'ara Saks is looking for pitches to help young Canadians who are struggling with their mental health. The federal government plans to distribute $500 million for projects that help young people struggling to afford private mental health care services.

Ottawa seeks project pitches to for new mental health fund aimed at youth

Prince Harry in Vancouver as Invictus Games school program launches online

Prince Harry in Vancouver as Invictus Games school program launches online
Prince Harry is in Vancouver for the launch of a campaign to raise awareness of the Invictus Games among children and youth, one day after surprising Canadian football fans by appearing at the Grey Cup in the city. The prince visited Vancouver-area elementary and high school students at Seaforth Armoury.

Prince Harry in Vancouver as Invictus Games school program launches online

A list of members of B.C. Premier David Eby's new cabinet

A list of members of B.C. Premier David Eby's new cabinet
There's been a near total shakeup of British Columbia's government cabinet, with few ministers retaining their jobs and some longtime backbenchers and newly elected members moving in. 

A list of members of B.C. Premier David Eby's new cabinet

New and familiar faces on the bus as Eby introduces B.C. NDP cabinet

New and familiar faces on the bus as Eby introduces B.C. NDP cabinet
A bus carrying members of Premier David Eby's new cabinet has arrived at Government House in Victoria, with passengers including both new and familiar faces. Among newly elected members of the NDP caucus on the bus were former broadcaster Randene Neill and Vancouver Police Department veteran Terry Yung, while cabinet veterans including Mike Farnworth, Adrian Dix and Ravi Kahlon, also walked off the bus.

New and familiar faces on the bus as Eby introduces B.C. NDP cabinet

Man police linked to neo-Nazi group pleads not guilty to terrorism charges

Man police linked to neo-Nazi group pleads not guilty to terrorism charges
An Ottawa man is pleading not guilty to charges of terrorism and hate-speech related to the promotion of a far-right group. RCMP charged Patrick Gordon Macdonald in July 2023, alleging he took part in activities of a listed terrorist organization.

Man police linked to neo-Nazi group pleads not guilty to terrorism charges