Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Conservatives call for tax relief for GM worker severance packages

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Feb, 2026 09:53 AM
  • Conservatives call for tax relief for GM worker severance packages

The Opposition Conservatives are calling on the federal Liberal government to reduce taxes on severance packages for laid-off General Motors workers in Ingersoll, Ont.

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre penned a letter Sunday, co-signed by labour critic Kyle Seeback and local MP Arpan Khanna, addressed to Finance Minister François-Philippe Champagne calling for an exemption to the withholding taxes that ding severance pay.

In a draft version of the letter seen by The Canadian Press, the Conservatives argue taxes on a big chunk of GM’s lump-sum severance payments could deprive out-of-work employees of “tens of thousands of dollars,” adding “insult to injury.”

The federal Tories said waiting until after tax season to recover funds is not a reasonable solution for workers who recently lost their regular paycheques and still need money for their mortgages and grocery bills.

"These men and women worked hard, played by the rules and built things this country depends on. The least your government can do is stop taking their money at the worst possible moment," the letter said.

"That is why I am asking you to use your existing authority to reduce the amount of tax withheld on these payments for workers affected by the GM CAMI layoffs."

The letter comes just ahead of the start of tax-filing season and days after Carney unveiled his new strategy for the automotive sector.

GM announced last year it would end its BrightDrop electric-vehicle production at the CAMI Assembly plant in Ingersoll, citing weaker-than-expected market demand and a challenging regulatory environment in the U.S. 

More than a thousand employees have been laid off.

Meanwhile, GM’s Oshawa Assembly is shuttering one of three shifts, laying off some 500 employees in a move expected to affect upward of a thousand workers across the supply chain.

Unifor, the union representing the GM employees, has accused U.S. President Donald Trump of upending Ontario’s auto sector and hitting the Ingersoll GM plant on multiple fronts. Trump introduced 25 per cent tariffs on non-U.S. auto content and policies that upended the U.S. EV industry.

Prime Minister Mark Carney announced a new automotive industrial strategy last Thursday, which he vowed would “drive investment” in the sector and set a “sovereign path” to reduce auto emissions.

The strategy would remove the EV sales mandate in exchange for stricter auto-emissions standards and re-introduce the EV rebate program.

It comes on the heels of a deal the prime minister made in Beijing, granting a set quota of Chinese EVs into the country at a minimal tariff rate. Carney has also said Ottawa has been in talks with Korean and Chinese investors interested in Canada’s auto sector.

The Conservatives dismissed Carney’s new auto strategy in their letter for being unhelpful to auto-sector workers who have been left reeling as their industry buckles.

“Canadians are still waiting for your government to deliver the trade deal with the United States you promised by July 21 (2025) and a clear plan to protect Canadian jobs,” the Conservative MPs wrote.

“Instead of presenting a serious plan to defend our auto workers, you've just announced a rebate that will subsidize American-made EVs.”

Canada is entering into talks this year over renewing the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement, as the free-trade pact comes up for review among the signatories.

Carney said Thursday his objective remains getting all tariffs removed, but that is clearly not Trump’s objective, so Canada must “prepare for all possibilities.”

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Patrick Doyle

MORE National ARTICLES

Prince Harry to visit veterans in Toronto today ahead of Remembrance Day

Prince Harry to visit veterans in Toronto today ahead of Remembrance Day
Prince Harry is set to meet with some of Canada's oldest veterans today as part of his two-day visit to Toronto for events related to Remembrance Day.

Prince Harry to visit veterans in Toronto today ahead of Remembrance Day

From flu outbreak to 'Ostrichfest' to high court, how B.C. ostrich cull saga unfolded

From flu outbreak to 'Ostrichfest' to high court, how B.C. ostrich cull saga unfolded
Universal Ostrich Farms in Edgewood, B.C., has spent more than 10 months opposing a cull order from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency that would result in the deaths of hundreds of its birds. 

From flu outbreak to 'Ostrichfest' to high court, how B.C. ostrich cull saga unfolded

One Canadian among seven climbers dead after avalanche in Nepal

One Canadian among seven climbers dead after avalanche in Nepal
Global Affairs says a Canadian is one of the seven killed in an avalanche in Nepal earlier this week. 

One Canadian among seven climbers dead after avalanche in Nepal

Indigenous leaders say federal budget falls short on health care, education

Indigenous leaders say federal budget falls short on health care, education
The federal budget fails to offer the investments in health and education their communities desperately need, some Indigenous leaders said Wednesday, a day after the Liberals tabled the latest fiscal plan in the House of Commons.

Indigenous leaders say federal budget falls short on health care, education

Environment Canada warns of storm surge as winds and high tides combine on B.C. coast

Environment Canada warns of storm surge as winds and high tides combine on B.C. coast
A series of frontal systems moving over from the Pacific will bring rainfall and coastal flooding for parts of British Columbia's coast, while setting off high-water advisories for rivers in some of those areas. 

Environment Canada warns of storm surge as winds and high tides combine on B.C. coast

Carney defends 'bold' Budget 2025 as critics question scale of investment

Carney defends 'bold' Budget 2025 as critics question scale of investment
The federal budget is a "bold response" to a global moment of economic disruption, Prime Minister Mark Carney argued Wednesday, replying to critics who question the ambition of Ottawa's plans.

Carney defends 'bold' Budget 2025 as critics question scale of investment