Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Construction On Gordie Howe International Bridge Officially Underway: Justin Trudeau

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Oct, 2018 01:12 PM
    WINDSOR, Ont. — Construction on a multibillion-dollar bridge touted as a key link between Canada and the United States is officially underway, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Friday.
     
     
    Flanked by dignitaries from both sides of the border, the prime minister said the Gordie Howe International Bridge, currently slated to cost $5.7 billion, will be built over the next six years and be ready for operation by late 2024. He made the announcement at the beginning of a jam-packed day in Windsor, Ont.
     
     
    He said the 2.5-kilometre bridge spanning the Detroit River will provide a critical conduit for commerce between the two countries, an issue he said has taken on increased relevance since the successful resolution of contentious free trade negotiations earlier in the week.
     
     
    "I'm confident that integrated, two-way trade between Windsor and Detroit will only increase from here, which is a great thing for local communities and the national economy," Trudeau said. "Shorter travel times, more efficient supply chains and better access to the U.S. market. The Gordie Howe International Bridge has been a long time coming."
     
     
    Trudeau said the bridge was always a priority project, but has taken on added significance since Canada joined the U.S. and Mexico in signing an agreement-in-principle on a free trade deal. The pact, dubbed the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement, has yet to be formally ratified.
     
     
    The road to Friday's announcement has been strewn with political potholes that proponents have had to navigate at the state and federal levels.
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
    The bridge has also survived multiple legal challenges from the private owner of the nearby Ambassador Bridge, who publicly appealed to U.S. President Donald Trump this year to revoke a presidential permit Barack Obama granted to greenlight construction.
     
     
    On Friday, the bridge received a public benediction from Michigan's Republican Gov. Rick Snyder.
     
     
    "This is a friendship of many, many years, and what better representation than the Gordie Howe International Bridge," he said. "Gordie Howe...set the benchmark for the hockey world. This bridge will set that benchmark for the Canadian-American relationship and for the rest of the world."
     
     
    Trudeau said the construction project will create an estimated 2,500 jobs and will lead to more sustained employment growth once completed.
     
     
    He also touted the long-term trade benefits, saying a quarter of all trade passes through the Windsor-Detroit corridor while 7,000 commercial vehicles travel through the area daily.
     
     
    The six-lane, cable-stayed bridge — whose towers will be designed to look like a hockey stick taking a slap shot — is expected to have a lifespan of 125 years.
     
     
    Later on Friday, Trudeau is expected to meet with union leaders, tour a vehicle assembly plant and hand out turkeys for Thanksgiving.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Canada Post Mail Carrier Seen On Video Munching Pilfered Tomatoes

    Canada Post Mail Carrier Seen On Video Munching Pilfered Tomatoes
    MONTREAL — Canada Post says it has spoken to a Montreal mail carrier who can be seen on video on four separate days pilfering tomatoes from a hanging basket outside a home.

    Canada Post Mail Carrier Seen On Video Munching Pilfered Tomatoes

    Canada-U.S. Ferry Service Proposes Moving From Portland To Bar Harbor

    Canada-U.S. Ferry Service Proposes Moving From Portland To Bar Harbor
    An international ferry service that links Canada with the United States could move to a new port in Maine, a change that could see Nova Scotia paying for upgrades to an American town's ferry docking facilities.

    Canada-U.S. Ferry Service Proposes Moving From Portland To Bar Harbor

    Mary Hare, Student Whose Throat Was Slashed In UBC Dormitory Alleges Negligence In Lawsuit

    Mary Hare, Student Whose Throat Was Slashed In UBC Dormitory Alleges Negligence In Lawsuit
    VANCOUVER — A young woman whose throat was slashed inside a University of British Columbia student residence has filed a lawsuit against the school alleging negligence.

    Mary Hare, Student Whose Throat Was Slashed In UBC Dormitory Alleges Negligence In Lawsuit

    Port Coquitlam Fires Staff In Alleged $75,000 Copper Theft Scheme: City

    Port Coquitlam Fires Staff In Alleged $75,000 Copper Theft Scheme: City
    PORT COQUITLAM, B.C. — The City of Port Coquitlam says it has fired seven employees involved in a "highly co-ordinated" copper theft scheme that lasted over a decade and cost taxpayers more than $75,000.

    Port Coquitlam Fires Staff In Alleged $75,000 Copper Theft Scheme: City

    Delta B.C. Officer Wins Review After Ticketing Drivers For Offences That Didn’t Happen

    Delta B.C. Officer Wins Review After Ticketing Drivers For Offences That Didn’t Happen
    Const. Byron Ritchie was seeking a public hearing after a misconduct hearing upheld 11 allegations of deceit committed under the Police Act, in 2016.

    Delta B.C. Officer Wins Review After Ticketing Drivers For Offences That Didn’t Happen

    Lions Gate Bridge Closed In Both Directions Due To Police Incident

    Lions Gate Bridge Closed In Both Directions Due To Police Incident
    Drivers and riders are advised to expect significant delays and use other routes until the bridge reopens

    Lions Gate Bridge Closed In Both Directions Due To Police Incident