Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Continued confidence in Surrey’s residential building sector

Darpan News Desk City of Surrey, 15 Sep, 2020 08:22 PM
  • Continued confidence in Surrey’s residential building sector

Confidence in the residential construction sector remains strong in Surrey as more than $808 million in housing developments were given approval to proceed by Surrey City Council at last night’s Regular Council – Land Use Meeting.

Projects of note include several apartment towers ranging from 26 to 49-storeys, three dedicated rental apartment buildings, and a live/work residential townhome project.

“It’s no secret that Surrey has always been a desirable place for young families and first-time homeowners looking to get into the market,” said Mayor Doug McCallum. “Among the new developments, I am especially pleased with the projects that will expand the rental housing stock in Surrey. These new projects approved by Council will bring even more housing options on stream for people looking to call Surrey home.”

Development projects given approval to proceed include the following: 2 high-rise residential towers (45 and 39-storeys) and 11-storey mid-rise rental building (Application number: 7919-0223-00) 32-storey residential apartment building (Application number: 7919-0105-00) 26-storey market condo and 21-storey rental apartment building (Application number: 7918-0393-00) 13-story rental apartment building and 16-storey market apartment building (Application number: 7918-0443-00) 7 apartment buildings of up to 6-storeys and 55 townhouse units (Application number: 7915-0393-00) Seven, 5 to 6-storey apartment buildings (Application number: 7917-0544-0) 6-storey mixed-use building comprised of 30 market and 70 non-market rental units (Application number: 7918-0450-00) 39 live/work residential townhomes (Application number: 7914-0207-00).

This latest round of development approvals comes on the heels of nearly $700 million in building projects approved by Council this past July.

Photo courtesy of City of Surrey.

MORE National ARTICLES

How will Canada's new EI program work?

How will Canada's new EI program work?
The federal government is switching up its relief programs for unemployed Canadians after doling out $69.37 billion to 8.61 million people across the country whose jobs were impacted by COVID-19.

How will Canada's new EI program work?

Adjudicator rules in Indigenous health case

Adjudicator rules in Indigenous health case
A human rights adjudicator has ruled that the Manitoba government discriminated against a disabled Indigenous boy by not providing adequate health care.

Adjudicator rules in Indigenous health case

Family seeks answers in Quebecer's prison death

Family seeks answers in Quebecer's prison death
The family of a Quebec man who died this week in a Florida prison says they want answers about his cell conditions and the circumstances surrounding his final months.

Family seeks answers in Quebecer's prison death

Outside agency to look at claims against RCMP

Outside agency to look at claims against RCMP
The RCMP has asked an external police agency to assess allegations made against senior Mounties in the case of a Polish immigrant who died at the Vancouver airport in 2007.

Outside agency to look at claims against RCMP

Wildfire numbers surge in B.C. in the last week

Wildfire numbers surge in B.C. in the last week
The BC Wildfire Service says of the 540 fires recorded since April in British Columbia, more than one quarter have been sparked in the last week.

Wildfire numbers surge in B.C. in the last week

B.C. boy killed as tree falls during hike

B.C. boy killed as tree falls during hike
A five-year-old boy has been killed in an accident involving a group of hikers on a walk east of Vancouver.

B.C. boy killed as tree falls during hike