Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Contractor to try to recover overboard containers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Oct, 2021 09:31 AM
  • Contractor to try to recover overboard containers

VANCOUVER - The Canadian Coast Guard says the owner of a ship that lost 109 containers overboard in stormy weather last week has hired a contractor to try to recover the bins loaded with cargo.

It says in a statement that a salvage team was using thermal cameras to find remaining hot spots on the MV Zim Kingston after some of the containers caught fire last weekend. Active firefighting operations continued Thursday in containers that hold tires, it said.

Five containers have been spotted at the very northern tip of Vancouver Island, more than 400 kilometres away, but two containers carrying hazardous materials were not among them. The coast guard says trajectory modelling shows the containers that were still floating will continue to drift north.

Cargo in the containers include industrial and car parts, Christmas decorations, sofas, poker tables, clothing, toys, yoga mats, stand-up paddle boards and other everyday items.

The coast guard said air samples taken along the Greater Victoria waterfront show no negative effects from the ship.

"Once the initial response to the MV Zim Kingston is complete, the Transportation Safety Board may conduct an investigation into the incident, including why the ship lost containers during the storm and why some of the remaining containers caught on fire. Right now the highest priority continues to be putting the fires out and ensuring the remaining containers are secure before the ship is moved to port for unloading."

The Transportation Safety Board says it is gathering information on the incident and assessing the scope of the investigation it may conduct.

Darrell Wilson, a spokesman for Danaos, which manages the ship, said the master of the vessel ordered the evacuation of 16 members while he and other key personnel remained on board to try and put out a fire among some of the containers. Danaos commissioned a team of marine firefighters to ensure conditions were appropriate for the safe return of the vessel’s crew, he said.

Transport Canada said in a written statement that after the ship reported losing some containers in heavy seas on Friday, the master requested an anchorage from the Pacific Pilotage Authority and was allocated one at Constance Bank, about 7.5 kilometres (four nautical miles) south of Victoria.

The agency said that anchoring is a common right in Canada and that a ship is generally free to anchor temporarily and for a reasonable time in any location deemed appropriate.

Peter Lahay, national spokesman for the International Transport Workers Federation, said about five crew members stayed on board the ship to hose down the containers while the rest of the crew were taken to a hotel in Victoria before returning on Tuesday.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada is extending its ban on direct flights to India until at least August 21

Canada is extending its ban on direct flights to India until at least August 21
Canada has extended the ban on incoming passenger flights from India for another month til August 21, 2021. The federal government is not renewing the travel ban for Pakistan. 

Canada is extending its ban on direct flights to India until at least August 21

Fully vaccinated U.S. citizens can enter Canada Aug. 9, rest of world Sept. 7

Fully vaccinated U.S. citizens can enter Canada Aug. 9, rest of world Sept. 7
Officials say the 14-day quarantine requirement will be waived beginning the second week of August for eligible travellers who are currently residing in the United States and have received a full course of a COVID-19 vaccine approved for use in Canada.

Fully vaccinated U.S. citizens can enter Canada Aug. 9, rest of world Sept. 7

Canada to receive 7.1 million COVID-19 vaccines

Canada to receive 7.1 million COVID-19 vaccines
The federal government is expecting to receive about 7.1 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines this week, as it adjusts its distribution strategy amid waning vaccination rates and substantial supply. The new deliveries will include about 3.1 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine and four million doses of Moderna.

Canada to receive 7.1 million COVID-19 vaccines

Canada, allies blame China for cyberattack

Canada, allies blame China for cyberattack
Canada joined the United States and other allies on Monday in blaming China for a massive cyberattack that compromised tens of thousands of computers around the world earlier this year.

Canada, allies blame China for cyberattack

Church destroyed by fire in Surrey, B.C.

Church destroyed by fire in Surrey, B.C.
Surrey Fire Service assistant chief Shelley Morris says the St. George Coptic Orthodox Church was engulfed in flames by the time crews arrived at around 3:30 a.m.

Church destroyed by fire in Surrey, B.C.

Surrey Central Bus Loop closed near City Hall on 104th Ave due to police incident

Surrey Central Bus Loop closed near City Hall on 104th Ave due to police incident
Reports of a police incident near City Hall(104th at City Pkwy). Surrey Central Bus Loop is closed due to a police incident. Police situation blocking traffic in the region by the Surrey Central Bus Loop. Use caution and expect delays.

Surrey Central Bus Loop closed near City Hall on 104th Ave due to police incident