Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Coroner says 275 died of toxic drugs in B.C. in February and March in downward trend

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 May, 2025 10:53 AM
  • Coroner says 275 died of toxic drugs in B.C. in February and March in downward trend

The BC Coroners Service says overdose deaths have been trending downward in the province, with 275 people dying in February and March due to the toxic drug supply.

The service says in a statement that March is the sixth consecutive month in which fewer than 160 people died due to unregulated drug toxicity.

It says preliminary figures show 143 people died in March, down more than 33 per cent year over year, while 132 people died in February, a decline of 35 per cent compared to the same month last year.

The service says smoking remains the most common way to consume toxic drugs, with investigations indicating more than six in 10 of those who died smoked their substances.

Vancouver recorded the most deaths in the first quarter of 2025 with 97, followed by 52 in Surrey and 28 in Victoria.

The coroners service says people between 30 and 59-years old accounted for 67 per cent of drug-toxicity deaths in the first three months of 2025, and 76 per cent were male.

It says toxicological testing shows fentanyl and related substances remain the most common in drug toxicity deaths, with more than three-quarters of victims testing positive for fentanyl in their systems

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa, provinces should discuss possibility of west-east oil pipeline: Wilkinson

Ottawa, provinces should discuss possibility of west-east oil pipeline: Wilkinson
Federal Energy Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says Ottawa and the provinces should discuss the possibility of an oil pipeline to Eastern Canada to improve energy security and diversify trade. Wilkinson said Thursday that United States President Donald Trump's tariff threats have exposed "vulnerabilities" in the Canadian economy, including in the energy sector. 

Ottawa, provinces should discuss possibility of west-east oil pipeline: Wilkinson

Federal government commits more than $160 million to Jasper recovery

Federal government commits more than $160 million to Jasper recovery
The fire-ravaged town of Jasper, Alta., has received two pieces of critical funding from the federal and provincial governments as it attempts to stabilize in the wake of last summer's devastating wildfire. The federal government announced on Thursday it's committing $162 million to the recovery in Jasper, Alta. — a portion of which is being dedicated to interim and long-term housing.

Federal government commits more than $160 million to Jasper recovery

Fast-track approval no guarantee of success for B.C. mines, researcher suggests

Fast-track approval no guarantee of success for B.C. mines, researcher suggests
The mining industry is applauding the British Columbia government's decision to fast-track permits for several projects amid the ongoing U.S. tariff threat, but research suggests economic factors have been behind long delays for many other proposals. Simon Fraser University associate professor Rosemary Collard says research shows that regulatory fast-tracking of mining projects is no guarantee that they will all materialize.

Fast-track approval no guarantee of success for B.C. mines, researcher suggests

Former human rights chief commissioner sues for defamation

Former human rights chief commissioner sues for defamation
At a press conference Thursday, Birju Dattani spoke about lawsuits he has filed against Conservative deputy leader Melissa Lantsman, media personality Ezra Levant and the Jewish advocacy group Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs over statements made about him on social media last year. One of the defendants has called Dattani's claims "baseless."

Former human rights chief commissioner sues for defamation

Five women sexually assaulted in B.C. 'grateful' for lawsuit victory, lawyers say

Five women sexually assaulted in B.C. 'grateful' for lawsuit victory, lawyers say
Lawyers for five women who were sexually assaulted in Vancouver decades ago say their clients are grateful they won a civil lawsuit against a man acquitted of the crimes due to state misconduct. The B.C. Supreme Court awarded the five plaintiffs $375,000 each in damages from Ivan Henry for attacks in the early 1980s, in a case that set off decades of legal battles over his wrongful conviction, for which he won $8 million in his own civil lawsuit in 2016.

Five women sexually assaulted in B.C. 'grateful' for lawsuit victory, lawyers say

Liberal leadership candidates make rival defence spending pledges

Liberal leadership candidates make rival defence spending pledges
Contenders to replace Justin Trudeau as Liberal leader are attempting to one-up each other over how quickly they'd meet Canada's defence spending commitment to NATO. Both Chrystia Freeland and Karina Gould vowed Thursday to bring Canada's military spending up to the equivalent of two per cent of national GDP by 2027 — five years ahead of Trudeau's timeline and three ahead of rival candidate Mark Carney's plan.

Liberal leadership candidates make rival defence spending pledges