Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Coroner says 275 died of toxic drugs in B.C. in February and March in downward trend

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 May, 2025 10:53 AM
  • Coroner says 275 died of toxic drugs in B.C. in February and March in downward trend

The BC Coroners Service says overdose deaths have been trending downward in the province, with 275 people dying in February and March due to the toxic drug supply.

The service says in a statement that March is the sixth consecutive month in which fewer than 160 people died due to unregulated drug toxicity.

It says preliminary figures show 143 people died in March, down more than 33 per cent year over year, while 132 people died in February, a decline of 35 per cent compared to the same month last year.

The service says smoking remains the most common way to consume toxic drugs, with investigations indicating more than six in 10 of those who died smoked their substances.

Vancouver recorded the most deaths in the first quarter of 2025 with 97, followed by 52 in Surrey and 28 in Victoria.

The coroners service says people between 30 and 59-years old accounted for 67 per cent of drug-toxicity deaths in the first three months of 2025, and 76 per cent were male.

It says toxicological testing shows fentanyl and related substances remain the most common in drug toxicity deaths, with more than three-quarters of victims testing positive for fentanyl in their systems

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson

MORE National ARTICLES

Auschwitz survivors fear rising hate could bring on another Holocaust 80 years later

Auschwitz survivors fear rising hate could bring on another Holocaust 80 years later
As she prepared to return to Auschwitz-Birkenau, Miriam Ziegler vividly recalled how it felt to be a little girl orphaned by the Nazis and left alone in a world ruined by war. Eighty years after the liberation of the Nazi concentration camp, the 89-year-old Ziegler said Monday the rising tide of "hatred" around the world makes her fear that history might be ready to repeat itself.

Auschwitz survivors fear rising hate could bring on another Holocaust 80 years later

Canada's border security package welcome but comes late, Republican senator says

Canada's border security package welcome but comes late, Republican senator says
A prominent Republican senator says Canada’s recent investment in border security — announced in response to U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff threat — is tardy but welcome. James Risch, chair of the U.S. Senate foreign relations committee, says border security should be a Canadian policy priority and he wants to see Ottawa make sustained investments.

Canada's border security package welcome but comes late, Republican senator says

Early morning shooting in Newton

Early morning shooting in Newton
Police in Surrey say they're investigating an early-morning shooting in Newton that left a home damaged by gunfire.  The Surrey Police Service says they got multiple calls about shots fired just after 3 a-m yesterday in the Newton area near the intersection of 142 Street and 72nd Ave. 

Early morning shooting in Newton

Langley RCMP breakup crowd at illegal street racing event with 'unruly' crowd

Langley RCMP breakup crowd at illegal street racing event with 'unruly' crowd
Police in Langley say they had to use pepper spray and a Taser as they dealt with an "unruly" crowd of young people at an illegal street racing event in the city Friday night. 

Langley RCMP breakup crowd at illegal street racing event with 'unruly' crowd

One driver dead at scene of multi-vehicle crash on Metro Vancouver bridge

One driver dead at scene of multi-vehicle crash on Metro Vancouver bridge
The Surrey Police Service says one driver is dead and others have been injured in a multi-vehicle collision on the Patullo Bridge, a key route in Metro Vancouver. Police say the crash around 8:30 a.m. Sunday involved five vehicles, including a bus on the east end of the bridge.

One driver dead at scene of multi-vehicle crash on Metro Vancouver bridge

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years
The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year.  Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years