Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Coroner says 275 died of toxic drugs in B.C. in February and March in downward trend

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 May, 2025 10:53 AM
  • Coroner says 275 died of toxic drugs in B.C. in February and March in downward trend

The BC Coroners Service says overdose deaths have been trending downward in the province, with 275 people dying in February and March due to the toxic drug supply.

The service says in a statement that March is the sixth consecutive month in which fewer than 160 people died due to unregulated drug toxicity.

It says preliminary figures show 143 people died in March, down more than 33 per cent year over year, while 132 people died in February, a decline of 35 per cent compared to the same month last year.

The service says smoking remains the most common way to consume toxic drugs, with investigations indicating more than six in 10 of those who died smoked their substances.

Vancouver recorded the most deaths in the first quarter of 2025 with 97, followed by 52 in Surrey and 28 in Victoria.

The coroners service says people between 30 and 59-years old accounted for 67 per cent of drug-toxicity deaths in the first three months of 2025, and 76 per cent were male.

It says toxicological testing shows fentanyl and related substances remain the most common in drug toxicity deaths, with more than three-quarters of victims testing positive for fentanyl in their systems

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson

MORE National ARTICLES

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges
Imperial Metals Corp. and two other firms were charged last month with 15 alleged Fisheries Act breaches, accused of allowing a "deleterious substance" from the mine's tailings pond into several bodies of water.

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he is only aware of two genders — male and female — and that the government should leave people alone. In an interview with CP24 news channel, Poilievre was asked about President Donald Trump signing an executive order declaring the U.S. will only recognize two sexes and that they are unchangeable.

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities

Carney, Arya file paperwork, officially entering Liberal leadership race

Carney, Arya file paperwork, officially entering Liberal leadership race
Liberal leadership candidates Mark Carney and Chandra Arya have submitted their paperwork to enter the race ahead of tomorrow's deadline. The two appear to be the first through that gate, submitting the required signatures and a $50,000 deposit.

Carney, Arya file paperwork, officially entering Liberal leadership race

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says
The federal government failed in its duty to language and cultural advisers who worked for Canada's military during the Afghanistan conflict, says a report by Robyn Hynes, interim ombud for the Department of National Defence.

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says

2 arrested for assault with a weapon

2 arrested for assault with a weapon
Police in Surrey say two men have been charged with multiple offences including assault with a weapon, uttering threats to cause death, and unlawful confinement after an incident at a city centre apartment on Monday. They say officers responded to a call from a resident at an apartment on Central Avenue who said that two men were acting violently and had a gun.

2 arrested for assault with a weapon

Home invasion in Sicamous

Home invasion in Sicamous
Mounties in Sicamous say a man has been charged with multiple offences for breaking into a home in Malakwa last Saturday. They say the man was allegedly armed with a weapon and got into a confrontation with the residents inside.

Home invasion in Sicamous