Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2026 02:16 PM
  • Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

On Monday, City Council voted to move Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) on King George Boulevard, one of the region’s busiest north-south corridors, into the full design stage.  

 “As the city grows and our roads become more congested, residents need more rapid transit now,” said Mayor Brenda Locke. “Council’s decision moves us closer to becoming one of the first cities in B.C. to deliver BRT — a fast, reliable, and high-capacity transit system connecting City Centre, Newton and South Surrey.” 

The King George Boulevard BRT will run from Surrey City Centre to Semiahmoo Town Centre along a 19‑kilometre corridor with 12 stations and dedicated bus lanes along most of the route. Public consultation conducted earlier this year by TransLink showed strong community support for the project, with 84 per cent of respondents saying it will improve transportation. 

"As Surrey continues to grow, we need transit solutions now that move more people efficiently and reliably," says TransLink CEO Kevin Quinn. "BRT is the best solution for King George Boulevard because it can be implemented quickly and cost-effectively to manage congestion, strengthen connections between town centres, and support the city's long-term growth." 

TransLink has selected Surrey to host a BRT pilot station near Holland Park and the King George SkyTrain Station. The pilot will test the station design in real-world conditions before broader rollout, including near-level boarding, real-time information, improved lighting, and weather protection, using existing bus service. 

Council’s decision to advance BRT is a major step toward building a more connected city and delivering a cost-effective sustainable transportation system that meets the needs of Surrey’s growing population.  

To learn more about the King George Boulevard BRT project, visit surrey.ca/BRT

MORE National ARTICLES

Lunar New Year celebration returns to Museum of Surrey

Lunar New Year celebration returns to Museum of Surrey
Museum of Surrey is celebrating the Year of the Horse by hosting their annual Lunar New Year celebration, on Saturday, February 21, from 1-4 p.m.

Lunar New Year celebration returns to Museum of Surrey

Vancouver officers deny misconduct as hearing into Myles Gray beating death begins

Vancouver officers deny misconduct as hearing into Myles Gray beating death begins
A group of seven Vancouver police officers are denying allegations of abuse of authority and neglect of duty related to the 2015 death of Myles Gray after a violent altercation with officers while suffering a mental health crisis.

Vancouver officers deny misconduct as hearing into Myles Gray beating death begins

Carney agrees 'in principle' to Trump's Gaza peace board; details to be worked out

Carney agrees 'in principle' to Trump's Gaza peace board; details to be worked out
Prime Minister Mark Carney told reporters Sunday he has agreed in principle to join U.S. President Donald Trump's controversial "Board of Peace," meant to support the reconstruction of Gaza.

Carney agrees 'in principle' to Trump's Gaza peace board; details to be worked out

Carney says Qatar will make 'significant' investments in Canada's major projects

Carney says Qatar will make 'significant' investments in Canada's major projects
Prime Minister Mark Carney says Qatar has committed to "significant strategic investments" for Canada's major building projects.

Carney says Qatar will make 'significant' investments in Canada's major projects

Carney 'concerned' about U.S. 'escalation' on Greenland after tariffs

Carney 'concerned' about U.S. 'escalation' on Greenland after tariffs
Prime Minister Mark Carney says he is "concerned" about U.S. "escalation" on its push to buy Greenland after it threatened to impose tariffs on eight European nations opposed to the U.S. plan for the self-governing Danish territory.

Carney 'concerned' about U.S. 'escalation' on Greenland after tariffs

Carney says Chinese EV deal an 'opportunity' for Ontario, auto sector

Carney says Chinese EV deal an 'opportunity' for Ontario, auto sector
Prime Minister Mark Carney said that the electric vehicle deal with China is an "opportunity" for Ontario and autoworkers, despite criticism from Premier Doug Ford and the union representing Canadian autoworkers. 

Carney says Chinese EV deal an 'opportunity' for Ontario, auto sector