Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Drug bust in Nanaimo

Drug bust in Nanaimo
Police in Nanaimo say a call from a member of the public has led to charges against a man and a woman accused of drug trafficking. R-C-M-P say they got the call on September 11th, leading to the arrests and seizure of a more than 500 grams of suspected methamphetamine, cocaine and fentanyl, as well as 430 prescription opioid pills and a loaded gun.

Drug bust in Nanaimo

Vancouver mayor promises more police to quell 'street disorder' in Gastown

Vancouver mayor promises more police to quell 'street disorder' in Gastown
Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim says the city is taking immediate steps to improve public safety in the Gastown neighbourhood. Sim says they’ll work with the Vancouver Police Department to establish a community policing centre in Gastown as residents and businesses there say they want increased visibility of officers.

Vancouver mayor promises more police to quell 'street disorder' in Gastown

Bitcoin extortion scam in Langley

Bitcoin extortion scam in Langley
Mounties in Langley are warning the public about an extortion scam, saying they have received 12 similar reports so far this month. R-C-M-P say the suspects claim to possess compromising images of victims and threaten to release them unless the victim sends money to a Bitcoin wallet.

Bitcoin extortion scam in Langley

Surrey man facing child pornography charges

Surrey man facing child pornography charges
A Surrey man is facing further child pornography charges after his initial arrest in June. R-C-M-P say the 41-year-old man has been in custody since then, and he's now been charged with additional offences including luring a child.

Surrey man facing child pornography charges

Four newsroom staff at Radio NL in Kamloops are cut in format change

Four newsroom staff at Radio NL in Kamloops are cut in format change
More than half of the newsroom at Radio NL in Kamloops, B.C., has been let go as the station moves to a music format.  The radio station has had a decades-long grip on news in the Interior and beyond, breaking stories and covering everything from emergencies to courts and city hall.  

Four newsroom staff at Radio NL in Kamloops are cut in format change

A look at B.C. health care promises ahead of Oct. 19 election day

A look at B.C. health care promises ahead of Oct. 19 election day
The state of British Columbia health care has become a key issue ahead of the provincial election on Oct. 19 as the overburdened system attempts to cope with understaffing, frequent short-term closures of emergency rooms and hundreds of thousands of residents who don't have a family doctor. Here are some of the health-related election promises from the three major parties:

A look at B.C. health care promises ahead of Oct. 19 election day