Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Two dead after truck carrying seven teens crashes in eastern Alberta

Two dead after truck carrying seven teens crashes in eastern Alberta
A 19-year-old and a 17-year-old are dead after police say a truck carrying seven teens crashed in eastern Alberta. RCMP say officers responded to the single-vehicle crash early Sunday on a township road near Consort, approximately 260 km northeast of Calgary.

Two dead after truck carrying seven teens crashes in eastern Alberta

Eby pledges involuntary care for severe addictions in B.C., ahead of October election

Eby pledges involuntary care for severe addictions in B.C., ahead of October election
British Columbia will be opening secure facilities to provide involuntary care under the Mental Health Act for those with severe addictions who are mentally ill and have sustained a brain injury, the premier announced Sunday just days ahead of the start of a provincial election campaign. David Eby pledged a re-elected NDP would change the law in the next legislative session to "provide clarity and ensure that people, including youth, can and should receive care when they are unable to seek it themselves."

Eby pledges involuntary care for severe addictions in B.C., ahead of October election

B.C. commits to earlier, enhanced pensions for wildland firefighters

B.C. commits to earlier, enhanced pensions for wildland firefighters
Eby says in a statement the province and the BC General Employees' Union have reached an agreement-in-principle to "enhance" pensions for firefighting personnel employed directly by the BC Wildfire Service.

B.C. commits to earlier, enhanced pensions for wildland firefighters

Over 60 break and enter charges for Surrey man

Over 60 break and enter charges for Surrey man
R-C-M-P in Surrey say a man has been charged in more than 60 break-and-enters across the Lower Mainland and the B-C Interior. They say officers began investigating a series of residential break-ins where the suspect would steal garage door openers to later access the property.

Over 60 break and enter charges for Surrey man

Body found near railway tracks in Nanaimo

Body found near railway tracks in Nanaimo
Mounties in Nanaimo say officers are investigating a suspicious death of a man whose body was found near railway tracks yesterday. They say a passersby found the body around noon behind the curling club on Wall Street in a forested area.

Body found near railway tracks in Nanaimo

NDP caving to Poilievre on carbon price, has no idea how to fight climate change: PM

NDP caving to Poilievre on carbon price, has no idea how to fight climate change: PM
The NDP is caving to political pressure from Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre when it comes to its stance on the consumer carbon price, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Friday. Speaking to reporters in Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue, Que., Trudeau blasted the NDP on its equivocation on the consumer carbon price while responding to a question about the upcoming byelection in Montreal.

NDP caving to Poilievre on carbon price, has no idea how to fight climate change: PM