Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Peter Nygard sentenced to 11 years for sexual assault convictions

Peter Nygard sentenced to 11 years for sexual assault convictions
Former fashion mogul Peter Nygard is a "sexual predator" who showed no empathy for his victims, an Ontario judge said Monday as he sentenced the disgraced tycoon to 11 years in prison for his crimes in Toronto. The 83-year-old's time behind bars will work out to a little less than seven years after accounting for credit he received for time already spent in custody, and Nygard will be eligible to apply for parole in just over two years. 

Peter Nygard sentenced to 11 years for sexual assault convictions

Mark Carney to lead Liberal economic task force ahead of next election

Mark Carney to lead Liberal economic task force ahead of next election
Former Bank of Canada governor Mark Carney will chair a Liberal task force on economic growth. The appointment was announced as Liberal MPs gathered in Nanaimo, B.C. today to plot their strategy for the coming election year.

Mark Carney to lead Liberal economic task force ahead of next election

Air quality advisory issued in central, northeastern B.C. as wildfires persist

Air quality advisory issued in central, northeastern B.C. as wildfires persist
Wildfire smoke has prompted Environment Canada to issue an air-quality advisory for several regions in central and northeastern British Columbia. The weather office says pollution levels are either expected or occurring in the region, and are likely to persist for the next 24 to 48 hours.

Air quality advisory issued in central, northeastern B.C. as wildfires persist

Up to 600,000 Canadians now using federal dental-care program, health minister says

Up to 600,000 Canadians now using federal dental-care program, health minister says
Health Minister Mark Holland says more than four-fifths of dental providers are now participating in his government's dental-care program, and some 600,000 Canadians have taken advantage of it. The update comes a month after the minister touted a 75 per cent participation rate.

Up to 600,000 Canadians now using federal dental-care program, health minister says

Single vehicle collision in Delta

Single vehicle collision in Delta
Delta police say they are investigating a single vehicle collision that sent one person to hospital with serious injuries Sunday morning. James Sandberg, acting inspector with Delta Police, says officers responded to a call around 4 a.m. Saturday morning about a vehicle collision on Highway 17 where they found one person with serious injuries.

Single vehicle collision in Delta

Shopkeeper attacked in Vancouver

Shopkeeper attacked in Vancouver
Vancouver police say a shopkeeper was attacked while leaving work in east Vancouver Saturday night. V-P-D is praising three passersby who intervened and prevented the 23-year-old victim from being seriously injured.

Shopkeeper attacked in Vancouver