Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Police investigate two serious incidents near downtown Vancouver theatre

Police investigate two serious incidents near downtown Vancouver theatre
Vancouver police say extra officers are patrolling an area of downtown after two serious incidents this morning that may be linked. Police say in a post on social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter, that the crime scenes are on Georgia Street near Homer and Hamilton streets, and investigators are unsure if they are related.

Police investigate two serious incidents near downtown Vancouver theatre

Shots fired at Punjabi singer AP Dhillon's Victoria house

Shots fired at Punjabi singer AP Dhillon's Victoria house
Police say someone set fire to two vehicles and fired multiple shots at a Victoria-area home owned by Indo-Canadian musician A-P Dhillon. Mounties say they were called to the home in Colwood early yesterday morning.

Shots fired at Punjabi singer AP Dhillon's Victoria house

Man arrested in Nanaimo for alleged machete crime spree

Man arrested in Nanaimo for alleged machete crime spree
Police in Nanaimo say they've arrested a man who was armed with a machete during an alleged crime spree that included a series of break-ins, chasing and attacking residents and stealing a car from a driveway. Nanaimo RCMP say the attacks happened on Monday afternoon, when police began receiving calls about a man using a machete to break into homes.

Man arrested in Nanaimo for alleged machete crime spree

B.C. Conservatives add, subtract candidates, as some complain of BC United moving in

B.C. Conservatives add, subtract candidates, as some complain of BC United moving in
Some former candidates complained that the Conservatives were being infiltrated by the Official Opposition — whose leader Kevin Falcon ended his party's campaign last Wednesday — and at least one said they planned to run as an independent.

B.C. Conservatives add, subtract candidates, as some complain of BC United moving in

BBB warns businesses regarding phishing

BBB warns businesses regarding phishing
The Better Business Bureau is calling for businesses to be vigilant after a series of reported phishing attacks. The B-B-B says it has received calls from a number of B-C businesses about attempts made through e-mail or text to give up trademark information.

BBB warns businesses regarding phishing

Alleged arrest in series of crimes

Alleged arrest in series of crimes
Nanaimo R-C-M-P say a man has been arrested after allegedly committing a series of crimes over the long weekend including stealing and crashing a car. Police say they received calls yesterday afternoon of the suspect wielding a machete and breaking windows while assaulting people in the 21-hundred block of Duggan Road.

Alleged arrest in series of crimes