Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Wildfires continue to drop in B.C., just over 40 blazes burning out of control

Wildfires continue to drop in B.C., just over 40 blazes burning out of control
The number of out-of-control wildfires continues to drop in British Columbia on the heels of a cold front bringing rain and fall-like temperatures to many areas. About 280 blazes remain active across the province with 15 per cent or just over 40 of those fires classified as burning out of control.

Wildfires continue to drop in B.C., just over 40 blazes burning out of control

Man arrested after violent carjacking at B.C. airport: RCMP

Man arrested after violent carjacking at B.C. airport: RCMP
A 29-year-old man has been arrested after what police say was a violent carjacking outside the Prince George Airport. Prince George RCMP say the elderly driver suffered serious injuries when the vehicle crashed and he was thrown from the scene.

Man arrested after violent carjacking at B.C. airport: RCMP

B.C. brings in 'bell to bell' school phone ban, as new access rules target protesters

B.C. brings in 'bell to bell' school phone ban, as new access rules target protesters
Cellphone use will be restricted in all British Columbia school districts when pupils return next week, as the province becomes the latest to curtail the use of the devices in classrooms. Premier David Eby says all school districts now have policies in place to ban cellphone use "bell to bell," in line with a government directive announced in April.

B.C. brings in 'bell to bell' school phone ban, as new access rules target protesters

Thousands still out of homes in Manitoba and Saskatchewan due to wildfires

Thousands still out of homes in Manitoba and Saskatchewan due to wildfires
Nearly 3,800 people from First Nations in Saskatchewan and Manitoba remain out of their homes due to nearby wildfires. The Canadian Red Cross says it's supporting more than 2,300 from the remote community of Bunibonibee Cree Nation in northeastern Manitoba, offering lodging, food, transportation and supplies.

Thousands still out of homes in Manitoba and Saskatchewan due to wildfires

4 Mounties injured over the weekend

4 Mounties injured over the weekend
Burnaby R-C-M-P say four Mounties sustained minor injuries as they responded to a report of a man trying to break into a home over the weekend. They say officers arrived to find the 36-year-old suspect yelling incoherently, and when they tried to arrest him, he became aggressive.

4 Mounties injured over the weekend

Fatal truck crash in Sicamous

Fatal truck crash in Sicamous
The driver who died when his tractor trailer crashed over the side of a bridge and plunged into water below has been identified as a 25-year-old man. Sicamous R-C-M-P say they responded to a report of crash at about 6:45 a-m on Saturday, finding the truck was descending down a hill when it struck one end of the bridge, then crossed to the other side and crashed through the guard rail.

Fatal truck crash in Sicamous