Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. fruit group files for creditor protection after crop losses, 'liquidity crisis'

B.C. fruit group files for creditor protection after crop losses, 'liquidity crisis'
A statement from the BC Tree Fruits Cooperative issued Monday says the decision to file for creditor protection stems from the group's "liquidity crisis," with stone fruit crops damaged by weather identified as "the final tipping point" in a series of factors.

B.C. fruit group files for creditor protection after crop losses, 'liquidity crisis'

Suspect arrested, second sought in deadly shooting east of Calgary

Suspect arrested, second sought in deadly shooting east of Calgary
RCMP in Alberta say one of two suspects wanted in a deadly shooting east of Calgary last week has been arrested, but the search continues for the other. With assistance from the Edmonton Police Service, Mounties announced Monday night they arrested a 35-year-old suspect in the Alberta capital on August 8.

Suspect arrested, second sought in deadly shooting east of Calgary

Debit card theft in New Westminster

Debit card theft in New Westminster
The New Westminster Police Department has issued a pickpocketing warning after a woman had her debit card stolen and lost over two-thousand dollars. Police say the victim’s card was stolen and then the card was used for 25 hundred dollars in purchases and withdrawals. 

Debit card theft in New Westminster

Driver dead, passenger injured in highway crash near Savona

Driver dead, passenger injured in highway crash near Savona
Police in British Columbia's southern Interior say a single-vehicle crash on the Trans-Canada Highway east of Savona has killed one person.  RCMP say they were called Sunday to respond to the crash involving two women from the Metro Vancouver community of Port Coquitlam.

Driver dead, passenger injured in highway crash near Savona

Third person dies in Listeria outbreak linked to plant-based milks

Third person dies in Listeria outbreak linked to plant-based milks
The Public Health Agency of Canada says a third person has died in a Listeria outbreak connected to Great Value and Silk plant-based milks. The agency says there are now 20 confirmed cases of listeriosis in Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia and Alberta. 

Third person dies in Listeria outbreak linked to plant-based milks

Chief human-rights commissioner resigns after investigation into Israel comments

Chief human-rights commissioner resigns after investigation into Israel comments
The recently appointed chief commissioner of the Canadian Human Rights Commission said Monday that he agreed to resign after an investigation into his past comments related to Israel. Birju Dattani has previously denied allegations that he made anti-Israel statements, including what Conservatives characterize as a "justification of terrorism."

Chief human-rights commissioner resigns after investigation into Israel comments