Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Man arrested in Airbnb break and enter

Man arrested in Airbnb break and enter
Mounties in North Vancouver say they have arrested a man for the breaking and entering of an Airbnb last month. They say a family from the United States had been unloading their car at the property and had left the rear door of the home open.

Man arrested in Airbnb break and enter

Plane modifications not properly recorded before B.C. crash: Safety board

Plane modifications not properly recorded before B.C. crash: Safety board
The Transportation Safety Board says a plane that crashed last year in Campbell River, B.C., was modified improperly after getting flight permits. The board's report on the September 2023 crash says the plane took off from Campbell River Airport with two pilots aboard who were involved in the development of a prototype aircraft with Sealand Aviation Ltd.

Plane modifications not properly recorded before B.C. crash: Safety board

Four-year-old girl drowns in Chilliwack pond

Four-year-old girl drowns in Chilliwack pond
Mounties in Chilliwack say a four-year-old girl has drowned in a pond at a leisure centre. Police say they received a report of the drowning at the water park of the Chilliwack Landing Leisure Centre Monday night. 

Four-year-old girl drowns in Chilliwack pond

Landslide shuts down Highway 99 between Lillooet and Pemberton

Landslide shuts down Highway 99 between Lillooet and Pemberton
A landslide has forced the closure of a large stretch of Highway 99 north of Pemberton. Drive BC, the provincial travel information site, says the highway is closed in both directions between Rancheree Road and Seton Lake Road for more than 80 kilometres due to the slide.

Landslide shuts down Highway 99 between Lillooet and Pemberton

Firefighter's death delays tours for Jasper residents in zone destroyed by wildfire

Firefighter's death delays tours for Jasper residents in zone destroyed by wildfire
Alberta's minister of public safety said bus tours of the community that were scheduled to begin Sunday were postponed 24 hours because of the death over the weekend of a firefighter in Jasper National Park. Mike Ellis said in a social media post that the decision was made out of respect for the family, crew and all those impacted by the tragedy.

Firefighter's death delays tours for Jasper residents in zone destroyed by wildfire

G7 foreign ministers say 'no country stands to gain' from rising Middle East tensions

G7 foreign ministers say 'no country stands to gain' from rising Middle East tensions
Canada's Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly and her G7 counterparts have issued a joint statement calling for a de-escalation of tensions in the Middle East. The foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States issued the statement, along with the High Representative of the European Union.

G7 foreign ministers say 'no country stands to gain' from rising Middle East tensions