Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Man stabbed in New Westminster

Man stabbed in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster are looking for witnesses after a man was stabbed downtown on Monday night. Police say a witness flagged down an officer outside the police station to report someone in distress and officers found the man bleeding from his abdomen.

Man stabbed in New Westminster

Father, son facing terror charges allegedly planning violent Toronto attack: RCMP

Father, son facing terror charges allegedly planning violent Toronto attack: RCMP
A father and son who were allegedly planning a violent attack in Toronto and had links to the Islamic State group are facing terrorism related charges, the RCMP said Wednesday. The two were arrested at a hotel in Richmond Hill, Ont., on the weekend, and were in possession of an axe and a machete, the Mounties said. 

Father, son facing terror charges allegedly planning violent Toronto attack: RCMP

B.C. couple partially victorious in bankruptcy fight with securities regulator

B.C. couple partially victorious in bankruptcy fight with securities regulator
The case involved a B.C. couple, Thalbinder Singh Poonian and Shailu Poonian, who were ordered by the British Columbia Securities Commission to pay $13.5 million in administrative penalties and $5.6 million to repay those who lost money in a market manipulation scheme that "caused vulnerable investors to lose millions of dollars."

B.C. couple partially victorious in bankruptcy fight with securities regulator

'Not out of the woods': Jasper wildfire still out of control, hotter weather expected

'Not out of the woods': Jasper wildfire still out of control, hotter weather expected
A fire rampaging through Jasper National Park remained out of control Wednesday, while officials worked to restore power and water in the park's townsite and to hash out a plan for vacationers to retrieve their stranded camping trailers.

'Not out of the woods': Jasper wildfire still out of control, hotter weather expected

Landslide sets off evacuation order for those living along B.C.'s Chilcotin River

Landslide sets off evacuation order for those living along B.C.'s Chilcotin River
A landslide blocking a river in British Columbia's central Interior has injured a man and prompted the Cariboo Regional District to issue evacuation orders due to "immediate danger to life and safety" caused by flooding triggered by the slide. The two evacuation orders span 107 square kilometres along the Chilcotin River southwest of the City of Williams Lake.

Landslide sets off evacuation order for those living along B.C.'s Chilcotin River

Triple stabbings in Vancouver

Triple stabbings in Vancouver
Police say a 29-year-old man has been charged in relation to a series of stabbings in downtown Vancouver last week. Officers responded last Monday night to reports that a man in his early 30s had been stabbed in the back, followed by two more stabbings in the same area.

Triple stabbings in Vancouver