Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Senior dies in motorcycle crash

Senior dies in motorcycle crash
A 71-year-old man is dead after a motorcycle crash in Twin Bays. R-C-M-P say it happened on Saturday on Highway 3-A.

Senior dies in motorcycle crash

Burnaby Hospital to expedite lab results

Burnaby Hospital to expedite lab results
Burnaby's hospital is the first in the Fraser Health region to get a new system aimed at speeding up lab results. The 1.5-million-dollar Beckman Autoline D-x-A five-thousand system has a conveyor for moving test tubes between analyzers.

Burnaby Hospital to expedite lab results

Man charged after three-year-old struck and killed in Edmonton crosswalk

Man charged after three-year-old struck and killed in Edmonton crosswalk
A man is facing charges after a three-year-old boy was killed in Edmonton when a pickup truck hit him along with his mother and sister. The crash happened in the southwest neighbourhood of Allard on June 27.

Man charged after three-year-old struck and killed in Edmonton crosswalk

Coast Guard fines owner $13,500 after failure to remove 'hazardous' vessel

Coast Guard fines owner $13,500 after failure to remove 'hazardous' vessel
A British Columbia boat owner has been fined $13,500 after failing to remove the partially sunken vessel from a bay along the coast of Vancouver Island. Fisheries and Oceans Canada says the owner was given a deadline last March to remove the 12-metre fishing vessel from the waters near Gold River on the west coast of Vancouver Island.

Coast Guard fines owner $13,500 after failure to remove 'hazardous' vessel

Mounties in Prince George issue warning over 'hit man' scam

Mounties in Prince George issue warning over 'hit man' scam
Police in British Columbia are warning the public about what they describe as a "hit man" scam. Prince George RCMP say the fraud scheme involves victims who receive texts or emails with threatening messages saying the sender is being sent to kill them. 

Mounties in Prince George issue warning over 'hit man' scam

Rotting food and closed highways a concern as Jasper evacuation nears second week

Rotting food and closed highways a concern as Jasper evacuation nears second week
Parks Canada says it realizes wildfire evacuees from Jasper worry about what rotting food will do to their homes and that others wonder when a critical highway through the national park will reopen, but it says the blaze continues to burn out of control and remains a threat to the town. A statement from the federal agency on Sunday said requests have poured in from people asking for help in retrieving important personal items or to remove food, fridges and freezers.

Rotting food and closed highways a concern as Jasper evacuation nears second week