Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Feds were warned about setting 'significant precedent' with Ukraine visa program

Feds were warned about setting 'significant precedent' with Ukraine visa program
Federal immigration officials warned the government it risked undermining the temporary immigration system with the design of the emergency visa program for war-displaced Ukrainians, newly released court documents show.  Immigration Department staff raised the concern in a memo to Sean Fraser, immigration minister at the time, shortly after the program was announced.

Feds were warned about setting 'significant precedent' with Ukraine visa program

Edmonton man found guilty on terrorism charge in United Kingdom

Edmonton man found guilty on terrorism charge in United Kingdom
An Edmonton man has been convicted in the United Kingdom of being a member of a proscribed terrorist group.  RCMP said Khaled Hussein, a Canadian citizen, was convicted Tuesday of being involved in al-Muhajiroun, an organization linked to killings and attacks in London. 

Edmonton man found guilty on terrorism charge in United Kingdom

Team chosen to design eight-lane replacement for B.C.'s Massey tunnel

Team chosen to design eight-lane replacement for B.C.'s Massey tunnel
A team has been selected to design a new eight-lane tunnel to replace the aging George Massey Tunnel under the Fraser River in Metro Vancouver, with British Columbia's transportation minister calling it a "huge step" for the project. Rob Fleming says the selection of the preferred proponent for the tunnel project, Cross Fraser Partnership, means design plans can now be finalized.

Team chosen to design eight-lane replacement for B.C.'s Massey tunnel

Another body found in English Bay

Another body found in English Bay
Vancouver police say two women have been found dead in English Bay since Sunday, and they're wondering if the pair are somehow linked. The V-P-D says one woman's body washed up on shore near the Kitsilano Yacht Club on Monday, but it's not known how she died or whether or not it was a crime. 

Another body found in English Bay

Storms with high winds, possible hailstones expected to fan flames of B.C. wildfires

Storms with high winds, possible hailstones expected to fan flames of B.C. wildfires
British Columbia's wildfire service says a significant change in the weather could cause another burst of wildfire activity, with extensive thunderstorms expected in the north and parts of the south following weeks of hot and dry weather. A bulletin from the service says B.C. saw thousands of lightning strikes over the weekend, mostly in the north, with more in the forecast.

Storms with high winds, possible hailstones expected to fan flames of B.C. wildfires

Wildfire replacement documents coming for citizens and PR's

Wildfire replacement documents coming for citizens and PR's
Miller says the replacement documents include permanent resident cards, Canadian citizenship certificates, passports and other travel documents that were lost, damaged or destroyed by wildfires. The special measures are in place until November 30th of this year.

Wildfire replacement documents coming for citizens and PR's