Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content
In a court application filed June 19, the BCE Inc. subsidiary said a licensing deal that was announced nine days earlier between Warner Bros. and Rogers breached non-compete provisions that Bell had in place when it previously acquired the rights to the content.

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Complex shoplifting in Metro Vancouver

Complex shoplifting in Metro Vancouver
Two individuals involved in a series of complex shoplifting cases in Metro Vancouver have pleaded guilty and were sentenced for their roles. Surrey Mounties say 51-year-old Nicoleta Rusu and 39-year-old Emil Marian Stan stole goods such as high-end fragrances and athletic clothing valued at 53-thousand dollars over a six-month span.

Complex shoplifting in Metro Vancouver

Road rage incident in Richmond

Road rage incident in Richmond
Police in Richmond are on the lookout after a road rage incident resulted in the occupant of one car opening fire on the driver of another vehicle. Richmond R-C-M-P say they responded to a call of shots fired on Hollybridge Way on the evening of June 28th.

Road rage incident in Richmond

Sixteen-year-old girl dies after fentanyl overdose in Prince George: RCMP

Sixteen-year-old girl dies after fentanyl overdose in Prince George: RCMP
Police in Prince George say a 16-year old girl who was taken to hospital last week after a drug overdose has died. Prince George RCMP's Serious Crime Unit is investigating and says the girl appears to have been targeted by a fentanyl trafficker.

Sixteen-year-old girl dies after fentanyl overdose in Prince George: RCMP

Five years after historic tobacco ruling, 'nothing has changed'

Five years after historic tobacco ruling, 'nothing has changed'
Several health advocacy groups have also sounded the alarm about the lack of movement and transparency in the case, warning Canada could miss out on what they call a historic opportunity to reduce tobacco use and regulate the industry.

Five years after historic tobacco ruling, 'nothing has changed'

More flight cuts expected after WestJet strike

More flight cuts expected after WestJet strike
Some 680 members of the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association had walked off the job on Friday evening despite a directive for binding arbitration from federal Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan.

More flight cuts expected after WestJet strike