Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Forecasters warn B.C. of hot summer, as province offers more free air conditioners

Forecasters warn B.C. of hot summer, as province offers more free air conditioners
British Columbia's government is tripling a program that offers free air conditioners to people with low incomes as forecasters say the province should prepare for hotter-than-normal temperatures in June. Minister of Energy Josie Osborne told a news briefing that the program, launched last year and managed by the Crown power utility, BC Hydro, had already handed out 6,000 air conditioners and the government was prepared to fund another 19,000 or so.

Forecasters warn B.C. of hot summer, as province offers more free air conditioners

Teenager sexually assaulted in Vancouver

Teenager sexually assaulted in Vancouver
Vancouver Police say a man has been charged after he allegedly sexually assaulted a teenager on a bus in the Mount Pleasant neighbourhood. They say the investigation began two weeks ago when the 15-year-old girl was groped on a bus near the intersections of Broadway and Quebec streets.

Teenager sexually assaulted in Vancouver

Unifor alleges Amazon ramped up hiring at B.C. warehouse ahead of union vote

Unifor alleges Amazon ramped up hiring at B.C. warehouse ahead of union vote
Unifor has filed an unfair labour practice complaint against Amazon amid a vote by workers at a Delta, B.C., warehouse over whether they want to join the union. The union claims Amazon beefed up its workforce as Unifor was in the midst of a union drive to try and weaken support.

Unifor alleges Amazon ramped up hiring at B.C. warehouse ahead of union vote

Man carries knife into North Van school

Man carries knife into North Van school
Mounties in North Vancouver are warning the public after a report of a suspicious man allegedly carrying a knife near a North Vancouver elementary school. Police say the incident took place on May 28th outside Westview Elementary and two callers were reported seeing a man carrying what appeared to be a knife near the school. 

Man carries knife into North Van school

Seizure of 43K & drug bust in Kelowna

Seizure of 43K & drug bust in Kelowna
Mounties in Kelowna say a routine traffic stop led to a search warrant for a home, where police found drugs, 43-thousand-dollars in cash, and two handguns. RCMP say officers stopped a vehicle last Friday and found the driver was known to police, with a history of involvement in the drug trade in the Okanagan city.

Seizure of 43K & drug bust in Kelowna

Shoplifting operation leads to over 60 arrests

Shoplifting operation leads to over 60 arrests
Burnaby RCMP say a four-day operation targeting shoplifting at the Metrotown shopping centre led to more than 60 arrests earlier this month. They say 12 of the people arrested had outstanding warrants from across the Lower Mainland, including one person who had been wanted for failure to comply with the province's sex offender registry.

Shoplifting operation leads to over 60 arrests