Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP in B.C. warn of fake Taylor Swift concert tickets being sold online

RCMP in B.C. warn of fake Taylor Swift concert tickets being sold online
Police on Vancouver Island are warning Swifties about an online scam after several people lost money while trying to secure tickets for Taylor Swift concerts through Facebook groups. West Shore RCMP, based in the Victoria suburb of Langford, say they received at least four complaints involving fraud taking place on Facebook Marketplace and other community groups. 

RCMP in B.C. warn of fake Taylor Swift concert tickets being sold online

Ottawa to provide $132 million to help people fleeing civil war in Sudan

Ottawa to provide $132 million to help people fleeing civil war in Sudan
International Development Minister Ahmed Hussen is announcing $132 million in aid for people fleeing Sudan's yearlong civil war. The funding includes $100 million in humanitarian aid for Sudanese who have fled to neighbouring countries as well as those stuck in Sudan amid widescale violence.

Ottawa to provide $132 million to help people fleeing civil war in Sudan

18 communities hold tsunami preparedness events

18 communities hold tsunami preparedness events
Eighteen communities, from White Rock to Ucluelet and Sooke to Port McNeill, are holding so-called high ground hikes next week as a way to raise awareness about what to do in the event of a tsunami.  It’s tsunami preparedness week from April 14th to 20th, and many areas of coastal B-C are vulnerable to the massive waves from an earthquake, similar to the 1964 Alaska quake that damaged Port Alberni. 

18 communities hold tsunami preparedness events

Richmond crash lands driver in hospital

Richmond crash lands driver in hospital
Mounties in Richmond are seeking witnesses or dash cam footage of a single vehicle crash that sent the driver to hospital in critical condition. Police say shortly before 10:45 p.m. on April 4th a black Mercedes, was travelling southbound on No 6 Road when it left the road, struck an embankment and landed straddling the ditch.

Richmond crash lands driver in hospital

Murderer found not guilty due to mental illness

Murderer found not guilty due to mental illness
A man who stabbed 79-year-old Eric Kutzner to death in a Nanaimo coffee shop two years ago has been found not criminally responsible on account of a mental disorder.  James Turok was convicted of second-degree murder in a B-C Supreme Court but will instead stay at the provincial forensic psychiatric hospital, Associate Chief Justice Heather Homes has ruled. 

Murderer found not guilty due to mental illness

Drug trafficking arrest in Prince George

Drug trafficking arrest in Prince George
Prince George R-C-M-P say a man has been arrested following an investigation into alleged drug trafficking at a local residence.  Mounties say the man was seen leaving his home in a stolen vehicle during an investigation last week and officers later arrested the driver, who was identified as 42-year-old James Alan Webb.

Drug trafficking arrest in Prince George