Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Witnesses needed to come forward in Surrey police shooting case

Witnesses needed to come forward in Surrey police shooting case
Police in Surrey are asking for witnesses in a case last month where an officer shot and seriously injured a fleeing suspect. Surrey Mounties say two Surrey Police Service officers were patrolling on foot on March 17th when they got a call about a man with a gun.

Witnesses needed to come forward in Surrey police shooting case

Bleak outlook for the housing market

Bleak outlook for the housing market
Economists say it could take months before consumers regain confidence and create a rebound in Canada's housing market, but a pent-up demand remains in places like BC. TD Bank economist Rishi Sondhi says the Canadian housing market is akin to a coiled spring, and significant demand in B-C and Ontario could be sparked by activities such as an interest-rate cut.

Bleak outlook for the housing market

Rain and snow warnings for BC

Rain and snow warnings for BC
Environment Canada has issued rain and snow warnings for parts of southwestern B-C as a moist Pacific frontal system moves into the region. The weather agency says North Vancouver and West Vancouver may see as much as 50 millimetres of rain in the next 24 hours, leading to possible washouts near rivers and creeks.

Rain and snow warnings for BC

Deportation hearing set for truck driver in deadly Saskatchewan hockey team bus crash

Deportation hearing set for truck driver in deadly Saskatchewan hockey team bus crash
A deportation hearing for the truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash six years ago has been scheduled for next month.  Lawyer Michael Greene said Monday the hearing for his client Jaskirat Singh Sidhu is to be held May 24.

Deportation hearing set for truck driver in deadly Saskatchewan hockey team bus crash

Father says 11-year-old boy felt safe with dogs before deadly attack in Edmonton home

Father says 11-year-old boy felt safe with dogs before deadly attack in Edmonton home
The father of an 11-year-old boy killed in a dog attack in an Edmonton home says he never saw the two animals act aggressively towards people and saw no sign he should be worried. Wesley Grist told reporters Sunday his son, Kache Grist, was comfortable with the pets and had often cuddled with them on the couch.   

Father says 11-year-old boy felt safe with dogs before deadly attack in Edmonton home

Canada to seek to join AUKUS alliance, consider nuclear subs: Trudeau

Canada to seek to join AUKUS alliance, consider nuclear subs: Trudeau
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada is exploring the possibility of joining the second phase of AUKUS, a U.S.-led alliance with the United Kingdom and Australia.   The initial pillar of the alliance, forged in 2021, was focused on developing nuclear-powered submarines for Australia.

Canada to seek to join AUKUS alliance, consider nuclear subs: Trudeau