Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. orchards and vineyards to get $70M to replant after disastrous weather

B.C. orchards and vineyards to get $70M to replant after disastrous weather
The British Columbia government says farmers will get an extra $70 million to replant and strengthen fruit orchards and vineyards after two years of weather-related disasters. Premier David Eby says the funding will boost the province's existing $15 million Perennial Crop Renewal Program, launched last spring to help more than 200 farmers replace diseased and unproductive plants.

B.C. orchards and vineyards to get $70M to replant after disastrous weather

Historic transportation investment for Surrey

Historic transportation investment for Surrey
Surrey has approved what city council is calling its biggest municipal transportation investment in history. The council has approved a 138-million-dollar extension of 72 Avenue from 152 Street to Highway 15, a roughly 4-kilometre stretch.

Historic transportation investment for Surrey

Poll: Canadians unsure online harms bill will make social media safer

Poll: Canadians unsure online harms bill will make social media safer
Fewer than half of Canadians believe the federal government's plan to regulate social media sites will make platforms safer, a new survey suggests. Polling firm Leger recently asked Canadians about the Liberal government's proposed Online Harms Act, which contains a suite of measures meant to make social media platforms safer, particularly for children.

Poll: Canadians unsure online harms bill will make social media safer

6 people arrested in Port Hardy drug bust

6 people arrested in Port Hardy drug bust
Police in Port Hardy say they've arrested six people in a drug investigation after seizing guns, and suspected fentanyl and cocaine, after executing a pair of search warrants over the weekend. Port Hardy R-C-M-P say there's been a recent uptick in overdose deaths in the north island community. 

6 people arrested in Port Hardy drug bust

Second degree murder charge for Surrey man

Second degree murder charge for Surrey man
Police in Surrey say a 38-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder, 18 months after the shooting death of 37-year-old Troy Michael Regnier.  Surrey R-C-M-P say the B-C Prosecution Service has charged Justin Bos in Regnier's death.  

Second degree murder charge for Surrey man

Ceasefire needed in Gaza as civilian casualties mount, Manitoba premier says

Ceasefire needed in Gaza as civilian casualties mount, Manitoba premier says
Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew is asking the federal government to call for an immediate ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war. Kinew says Israel has the right to exist, and Hamas must be destroyed, but the growing destruction and famine in civilian areas must stop.

Ceasefire needed in Gaza as civilian casualties mount, Manitoba premier says