Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Fire that gutted Metro Vancouver school caused by humans, police say

Fire that gutted Metro Vancouver school caused by humans, police say
Police say they believe a fire last October that destroyed an elementary school in Port Coquitlam, B.C., was human caused. Coquitlam RCMP say the investigators are now asking those responsible or people who may know who is responsible to come forward and contact police.

Fire that gutted Metro Vancouver school caused by humans, police say

Surrey RCMP at scene of collision with natural gas leak

Surrey RCMP at scene of collision with natural gas leak
Surrey RCMP is at the scene of a motor vehicle collision in the area of 66th Avenue and 128 Street, where one vehicle has hit a natural gas meter.  Fortis BC has been advised, and the immediate area is being evacuated as a precaution until crews can arrive to make repairs. 

Surrey RCMP at scene of collision with natural gas leak

Overdose toll hit 198 in January, down 10 percent but over 6 deaths a day

Overdose toll hit 198 in January, down 10 percent but over 6 deaths a day
The overdose death toll in January reached 198 people, down about 10 per cent from the same month last year, but still more than six deaths a day.  The B-C Coroners Service says the majority of those who died were male and the highest death rate was in north and central Vancouver Island and the northern Interior. 

Overdose toll hit 198 in January, down 10 percent but over 6 deaths a day

4 in hospital after 2 vehicle crash in Kelowna

4 in hospital after 2 vehicle crash in Kelowna
Four people are in hospital after a two-vehicle crash in Kelowna. R-C-M-P say it happened last night on Highway 33 when Toyota collided with a Dodge.  The Mounties say all four were taken to hospital in critical condition.

4 in hospital after 2 vehicle crash in Kelowna

Bank card scam in Burnaby

Bank card scam in Burnaby
Mounties are warning of the latest bank card scam that has taken in a few people in Burnaby. Police say they've had five reports of people getting calls from someone saying their bank or credit card had been compromised.   

Bank card scam in Burnaby

Female dead in Sooke

Female dead in Sooke
Police in Sooke say a female has died after being struck by a vehicle. R-C-M-P say the incident happened at about 5:30 this morning. Police say emergency responders attempted to save the woman, but she didn't survive.

Female dead in Sooke