Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Indecent act in Richmond

Indecent act in Richmond
Police are looking for a man who followed a woman who was walking in Richmond and then exposed his genitals to her.  They say it happened in the area of Number 3  Road and Goldstream Drive back on November 6th. 

Indecent act in Richmond

Fatal rollover crash on Hwy 99

Fatal rollover crash on Hwy 99
Mounties in Surrey say they are investigating a fiery overnight crash that killed two people and caused a partial shutdown of Highway 99. Mounties say they closed the road between 16th Avenue and 32nd Avenue northbound and are asking people to use alternate routes.

Fatal rollover crash on Hwy 99

B.C. nursing student attacked with knife during first clinical placement: union

B.C. nursing student attacked with knife during first clinical placement: union
The Vancouver Police Department said officers responded to the scene around 9 a.m. following reports of an assault inside the hospital, which left the 37-year-old victim with non-life-threatening injuries. Vancouver police spokesman Sgt. Steve Addison said a 48-year-old man, who was a patient at the hospital, was arrested.

B.C. nursing student attacked with knife during first clinical placement: union

B.C. charities worried Canada Post strike will affect fundraising efforts

B.C. charities worried Canada Post strike will affect fundraising efforts
Some B.C. charities and not-for-profits said they are worried the Canada Post strike will jeopardize their year-end fundraising efforts. Nicole Mucci, a spokeswoman for Union Gospel Mission in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside, said 50 per cent of the organization's revenue normally comes between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and a mail strike at this time of the year is "detrimental" since so many donations come in the mail. 

B.C. charities worried Canada Post strike will affect fundraising efforts

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government could have acted faster on reining in immigration programs, after blaming "bad actors" for gaming the system. Trudeau released a nearly seven-minute video on YouTube Sunday talking about the recent reduction in permanent residents being admitted to Canada and changes to the temporary foreign worker program. 

Trudeau says he could have acted faster on immigration changes, blames 'bad actors'

2 bystanders pepper-sprayed in Metrotown

2 bystanders pepper-sprayed in Metrotown
Mounties in Burnaby say two innocent bystanders were reportedly pepper-sprayed by four teenagers in Burnaby over the weekend. Corporal Mike Kalanj with Burnaby R-C-M-P says officers responded to reports of the assault inside the Metrotown shopping centre on Saturday evening. 

2 bystanders pepper-sprayed in Metrotown