Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court Order Against Man Who Vomited On B.C. Firefighter Offering Overdose Help

The Canadian Press, 14 Sep, 2017 12:38 PM
    NANAIMO, B.C. — A British Columbia law designed to protect emergency responders and Good Samaritans has been used for what's believed to be the first time against a man who vomited on a firefighter's face.
     
    Provincial court Judge Brian Harvey issued an order for the man to be tested after he overdosed on a street in the Vancouver Island community of Nanaimo in early August.
     
    The five-year-old Emergency Intervention Disclosure Act allows a judge to order a blood sample from a person if there's a chance disease could spread to a first responder or someone offering emergency care.
     
    “It's a landmark decision for us, it's the first time it's been tested in a court of law,” Nanaimo Fire Rescue chief Karen Fry said of the legislation. “It's going to give us the peace of mind, that we know this individual will now be required to be tested.”
     
    The man, who Fry said was “brought back to life,” has seven days from when he is served to get a blood test or face fines, according to lawyer Sean Smith, who is representing the firefighter.
     
    Fry said the man being sought for a blood sample refused medical attention and left a hospital before a doctor could see him.
     
    Firefighters wear protective gear, including gloves and goggles, during medical aid calls, but there's always a risk of transmitting disease, she said.
     
    The firefighter remains on duty and has undergone a series of blood tests, Fry said. Results are not yet known.
     
    Smith said the legislation allows testing for hepatitis B and C, as well as HIV. He said blood tests on the firefighter in this case can't solely be relied upon because diseases can take time to manifest.
     
    "It's a legislation that was never intended to be regularly used," he said, adding it provides first responders with a "security blanket" to seek a court order.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Kelowna Man Found Not Guilty In 'Sucker Punch Death Outside Restaurant

    Kelowna Man Found Not Guilty In 'Sucker Punch Death Outside Restaurant
    Van Gilder, 26, was charged in the February 2016 death of 30-year-old Zachary Gaudette outside a Kelowna restaurant.

    Kelowna Man Found Not Guilty In 'Sucker Punch Death Outside Restaurant

    Man Had Been Drinking And Speeding In Crash That Killed B.C. Mountie Const. Sarah Beckett

    Man Had Been Drinking And Speeding In Crash That Killed B.C. Mountie Const. Sarah Beckett
    Crown attorney Tim Stokes told Kenneth Fenton's sentencing hearing that the man's truck was going between 76 and 90 kilometres an hour when it entered the intersection and crashed into Const. Sarah Beckett's vehicle in April 2016.

    Man Had Been Drinking And Speeding In Crash That Killed B.C. Mountie Const. Sarah Beckett

    Trump Name To Be Dropped From Toronto Hotel, Condo Tower Under New Deal

    Trump Name To Be Dropped From Toronto Hotel, Condo Tower Under New Deal
    TORONTO — The new owner of Toronto's Trump International Hotel and Tower has struck a deal that will see the U.S. president's name removed from the property.

    Trump Name To Be Dropped From Toronto Hotel, Condo Tower Under New Deal

    Canada-Based 'World's Largest Sleep Study' Seeks Online Volunteers

    Canada-Based 'World's Largest Sleep Study' Seeks Online Volunteers
    The researchers at Western University, based in London, Ont., are hoping to recruit upwards of 100,000 participants from around the world for the online study.

    Canada-Based 'World's Largest Sleep Study' Seeks Online Volunteers

    Kelowna Draws New Residents, Tourists With Tech Boom And Dining Renaissance

    Kelowna Draws New Residents, Tourists With Tech Boom And Dining Renaissance
    KELOWNA, B.C. — Thanks to a thriving tech industry that has seen more than a 30 per cent growth in just two years, Kelowna has seen its demographics change drastically and its cultural scene adapt to appease younger tastes.

    Kelowna Draws New Residents, Tourists With Tech Boom And Dining Renaissance

    Black Lives Matter Hold Alternate Pride March In Vancouver

    Black Lives Matter Hold Alternate Pride March In Vancouver
    VANCOUVER — Crowds chanted "Black Lives Matter" in a downtown Vancouver park Sunday before marching in support of the LGBTQ community.

    Black Lives Matter Hold Alternate Pride March In Vancouver