Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Jul, 2022 03:04 PM
  • COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

GENEVA (AP) — The number of new coronavirus cases reported worldwide rose for the fifth week in a row while the number of deaths remained relatively stable, the World Health Organization reported Thursday.

In the U.N. health agency’s weekly review of the COVID-19 pandemic, WHO said there were 5.7 million new infections confirmed last week, marking a 6% increase. There were 9.800 deaths, roughly similar to the previous week’s figure.

Earlier this week, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the pandemic still qualifies as a global emergency and he was “concerned” about the recent spike.

“The virus is running freely, and countries are not effectively managing the disease burden,” he said during a Tuesday press briefing. “New waves of the virus demonstrate again that COVID-19 is nowhere near over.”

In the last two weeks, cases of COVID-19 reported to WHO surged 30%, driven largely by the hugely infectious omicron relatives, BA.4 and BA.5. The two omicron subvariants have shown a worrisome ability to re-infect people previously vaccinated or who have recovered from COVID.

According to WHO, the biggest increases in COVID-19 cases were seen in the Western Pacific and the Middle East, where they jumped by more than a quarter. Deaths spiked by 78% in the Middle East and by 23% in Southeast Asia, while dropping elsewhere or remaining stable.

WHO said that relaxed COVID-19 surveillance and testing programs in numerous countries have complicated efforts to track the virus and to catch any potentially dangerous new variants.

In the U.S. , the new omicron variants have pushed up hospitalizations and deaths in recent weeks, prompting some cities and states to rethink their approaches. White House COVID-19 coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha, during a Wednesday TV appearance, called for booster shots and renewed vigilance against the virus.

The White House response team has also urged all adults 50 and older to urgently get a booster if they haven’t yet this year — and dissuaded people from waiting for the next generation of shots expected in the fall.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. officer stabbed, but recovering from wounds

B.C. officer stabbed, but recovering from wounds
Police say when the officer was speaking to the complainant, the man fled into the home and the officer was stabbed after he followed. The release says the officer was able to take the man, who was known to the complainant, into custody and drive himself and the suspect to hospital.

B.C. officer stabbed, but recovering from wounds

Fugitive back in custody after causing multi-car collision

Fugitive back in custody after causing multi-car collision
A Vancouver Police officer was patrolling near Main Street and Terminal Avenue when he attempted to stop a vehicle that was allegedly driven by a 29-year-old man with 10 Canada-wide warrants, including charges for firearms and drug trafficking.

Fugitive back in custody after causing multi-car collision

Liberals ready another budget under cloudy outlook

Liberals ready another budget under cloudy outlook
Three-decade-high inflation rates may climb further. Unemployment is low, but labour shortages are widespread. Housing prices continue to rise at paces not seen in years.

Liberals ready another budget under cloudy outlook

One dead in Surrey apartment building fire

One dead in Surrey apartment building fire
Surrey RCMP were called to the building on 107a Ave. near King George Blvd. at about 8:20 p.m. Upon arrival, officers found a lower floor suite fully engulfed in flames, and began evacuating the building.    

One dead in Surrey apartment building fire

Woman pleads guilty after child's death in daycare

Woman pleads guilty after child's death in daycare
The British Columbia Prosecution Service says Susy Yasmine Saad entered the guilty plea in court on Monday to a single count affecting nine children, including one child who died.

Woman pleads guilty after child's death in daycare

Victim assualted with a hatchet and robbed of their bag

Victim assualted with a hatchet and robbed of their bag
At this time it is believed this was an unprovoked attack and the victim and suspect are not known to each other. The charges of one count of Aggravated Assault and one count of robbery against 30 year old Abdulkadir Hassan of Burnaby have been approved by Crown Counsel. 

Victim assualted with a hatchet and robbed of their bag