Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Jul, 2022 03:04 PM
  • COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

GENEVA (AP) — The number of new coronavirus cases reported worldwide rose for the fifth week in a row while the number of deaths remained relatively stable, the World Health Organization reported Thursday.

In the U.N. health agency’s weekly review of the COVID-19 pandemic, WHO said there were 5.7 million new infections confirmed last week, marking a 6% increase. There were 9.800 deaths, roughly similar to the previous week’s figure.

Earlier this week, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the pandemic still qualifies as a global emergency and he was “concerned” about the recent spike.

“The virus is running freely, and countries are not effectively managing the disease burden,” he said during a Tuesday press briefing. “New waves of the virus demonstrate again that COVID-19 is nowhere near over.”

In the last two weeks, cases of COVID-19 reported to WHO surged 30%, driven largely by the hugely infectious omicron relatives, BA.4 and BA.5. The two omicron subvariants have shown a worrisome ability to re-infect people previously vaccinated or who have recovered from COVID.

According to WHO, the biggest increases in COVID-19 cases were seen in the Western Pacific and the Middle East, where they jumped by more than a quarter. Deaths spiked by 78% in the Middle East and by 23% in Southeast Asia, while dropping elsewhere or remaining stable.

WHO said that relaxed COVID-19 surveillance and testing programs in numerous countries have complicated efforts to track the virus and to catch any potentially dangerous new variants.

In the U.S. , the new omicron variants have pushed up hospitalizations and deaths in recent weeks, prompting some cities and states to rethink their approaches. White House COVID-19 coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha, during a Wednesday TV appearance, called for booster shots and renewed vigilance against the virus.

The White House response team has also urged all adults 50 and older to urgently get a booster if they haven’t yet this year — and dissuaded people from waiting for the next generation of shots expected in the fall.

MORE National ARTICLES

Women sexually assaulted near Metrotown

Women sexually assaulted near Metrotown
The incident was reported to police and RCMP were actively investigating when RCMP received two additional reports of similar assaults on women in the Metrotown area. The second and third incidents happened around 9 a.m. on Friday, April 1.

Women sexually assaulted near Metrotown

Updated federal vaccine mandate coming Wednesday

Updated federal vaccine mandate coming Wednesday
The Public Service Alliance of Canada has already filed a grievance against the existing policy which requires all federal public service members to be fully vaccinated even if they work at home.

Updated federal vaccine mandate coming Wednesday

New climate change report 'sobering:' Guilbeault

New climate change report 'sobering:' Guilbeault
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change urges more aggressive cuts to greenhouse-gas emissions to limit global warming to the 1.5 degrees in the 2015 Paris Accord.

New climate change report 'sobering:' Guilbeault

Feds ease foreign workers rules amid labour crunch

Feds ease foreign workers rules amid labour crunch
Higher-wage, highly skilled workers will also be able to secure three years of employment eligibility instead of two, which the government says would also give them an easier path to permanent residency.

Feds ease foreign workers rules amid labour crunch

High waves, deep snow arrive in latest B.C. storm

High waves, deep snow arrive in latest B.C. storm
The weather office warned of dangerous storm surges on Monday as west winds gust to 100 kilometres per hour. The agency said the winds could send waves of up to 12 metres "crashing onshore" during the height of the storm.

High waves, deep snow arrive in latest B.C. storm

BC Premier John Horgan tests positive for COVID19

BC Premier John Horgan tests positive for COVID19
Horgan says his symptoms are mild and he is isolating and working from home. He recently underwent treatment of his throat cancer and was back in his office in January.

BC Premier John Horgan tests positive for COVID19