Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Jul, 2022 03:04 PM
  • COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

GENEVA (AP) — The number of new coronavirus cases reported worldwide rose for the fifth week in a row while the number of deaths remained relatively stable, the World Health Organization reported Thursday.

In the U.N. health agency’s weekly review of the COVID-19 pandemic, WHO said there were 5.7 million new infections confirmed last week, marking a 6% increase. There were 9.800 deaths, roughly similar to the previous week’s figure.

Earlier this week, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the pandemic still qualifies as a global emergency and he was “concerned” about the recent spike.

“The virus is running freely, and countries are not effectively managing the disease burden,” he said during a Tuesday press briefing. “New waves of the virus demonstrate again that COVID-19 is nowhere near over.”

In the last two weeks, cases of COVID-19 reported to WHO surged 30%, driven largely by the hugely infectious omicron relatives, BA.4 and BA.5. The two omicron subvariants have shown a worrisome ability to re-infect people previously vaccinated or who have recovered from COVID.

According to WHO, the biggest increases in COVID-19 cases were seen in the Western Pacific and the Middle East, where they jumped by more than a quarter. Deaths spiked by 78% in the Middle East and by 23% in Southeast Asia, while dropping elsewhere or remaining stable.

WHO said that relaxed COVID-19 surveillance and testing programs in numerous countries have complicated efforts to track the virus and to catch any potentially dangerous new variants.

In the U.S. , the new omicron variants have pushed up hospitalizations and deaths in recent weeks, prompting some cities and states to rethink their approaches. White House COVID-19 coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha, during a Wednesday TV appearance, called for booster shots and renewed vigilance against the virus.

The White House response team has also urged all adults 50 and older to urgently get a booster if they haven’t yet this year — and dissuaded people from waiting for the next generation of shots expected in the fall.

MORE National ARTICLES

Feds' bill could hit digital creators — YouTube

Feds' bill could hit digital creators — YouTube
The platform says proposed legislation obliging platforms to promote Canadian content risks downgrading the popularity of that content abroad — and the foreign earnings many Canadian YouTubers rely on.    

Feds' bill could hit digital creators — YouTube

Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs
The money, included in the newly tabled Bill C-17, follows a $4-billion top-up to the federal health transfer last summer and is expected to be a one-time payment, distributed equally based on population.

Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

ICBC relief rebate coming for drivers

ICBC relief rebate coming for drivers
Most ICBC customers with a basic auto insurance policy during the month of February will be eligible for the $110 relief rebate. Most commercial customers will receive a rebate of $165 because they generally incur higher expenses.    

ICBC relief rebate coming for drivers

Climate protests planned across Canada today

Climate protests planned across Canada today
Dozens of other events are planned in cities across Canada, including Quebec City, Calgary and Vancouver. Using the hashtag #Peoplenotprofit, organizers are denouncing the role of colonialism and capitalism in causing climate change and are calling for reparations to be paid to those most impacted.

Climate protests planned across Canada today

WHO rejects made-in-Canada COVID-19 vaccine

WHO rejects made-in-Canada COVID-19 vaccine
Health Canada authorized Medicago's two-dose Covifenz vaccine in February for adults 18 to 64. In clinical trials it was more than 70 per cent effective at preventing COVID-19 infections and 100 per cent effective against severe illness, before the Omicron wave.

WHO rejects made-in-Canada COVID-19 vaccine

Cautious optimism from privacy czar on CLOUD Act

Cautious optimism from privacy czar on CLOUD Act
The federal privacy commissioner says any agreement would need to have "explicit safeguards" to protect the rights of Canadians. Daniel Therrien's office says such an agreement would be an improvement over the current status quo, given the reach of new federal laws in the U.S.

Cautious optimism from privacy czar on CLOUD Act