Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Jul, 2022 03:04 PM
  • COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

GENEVA (AP) — The number of new coronavirus cases reported worldwide rose for the fifth week in a row while the number of deaths remained relatively stable, the World Health Organization reported Thursday.

In the U.N. health agency’s weekly review of the COVID-19 pandemic, WHO said there were 5.7 million new infections confirmed last week, marking a 6% increase. There were 9.800 deaths, roughly similar to the previous week’s figure.

Earlier this week, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the pandemic still qualifies as a global emergency and he was “concerned” about the recent spike.

“The virus is running freely, and countries are not effectively managing the disease burden,” he said during a Tuesday press briefing. “New waves of the virus demonstrate again that COVID-19 is nowhere near over.”

In the last two weeks, cases of COVID-19 reported to WHO surged 30%, driven largely by the hugely infectious omicron relatives, BA.4 and BA.5. The two omicron subvariants have shown a worrisome ability to re-infect people previously vaccinated or who have recovered from COVID.

According to WHO, the biggest increases in COVID-19 cases were seen in the Western Pacific and the Middle East, where they jumped by more than a quarter. Deaths spiked by 78% in the Middle East and by 23% in Southeast Asia, while dropping elsewhere or remaining stable.

WHO said that relaxed COVID-19 surveillance and testing programs in numerous countries have complicated efforts to track the virus and to catch any potentially dangerous new variants.

In the U.S. , the new omicron variants have pushed up hospitalizations and deaths in recent weeks, prompting some cities and states to rethink their approaches. White House COVID-19 coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha, during a Wednesday TV appearance, called for booster shots and renewed vigilance against the virus.

The White House response team has also urged all adults 50 and older to urgently get a booster if they haven’t yet this year — and dissuaded people from waiting for the next generation of shots expected in the fall.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. municipalities want joint housing action

B.C. municipalities want joint housing action
The report comes after Housing Minister David Eby recently said municipal governments are holding up housing developments in their communities and he’s preparing to introduce legislation to remove their final project approval powers.    

B.C. municipalities want joint housing action

VPD arrests alleged Komagata Maru memorial vandal

VPD arrests alleged Komagata Maru memorial vandal
The charge stems from a VPD investigation that was launched on August 22, 2021, when the Komagata Maru memorial, located in Coal Harbour, was defaced with white paint, hand prints, and graffiti. The memorial honours passengers who were aboard the Komagata Maru when the ship was denied entry to Vancouver after sailing here from India in 1914.

VPD arrests alleged Komagata Maru memorial vandal

Burnaby RCMP seizes about $100,000 worth of contraband cigarettes from Surrey home

Burnaby RCMP seizes about $100,000 worth of contraband cigarettes from Surrey home
Between December 25, 2021 and January 3, 2022, three businesses in industrial areas of Burnaby were broken into. Burnaby’s POST took conduct of the investigation and, with the assistance of local policing partners, were able to link the three break-ins and identify two suspects.

Burnaby RCMP seizes about $100,000 worth of contraband cigarettes from Surrey home

Canada, U.S. launch talks on data-sharing deal

Canada, U.S. launch talks on data-sharing deal
Today's announcement is part of a cross-border crime forum taking place this week in the U.S. capital with Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino and Justice Minister David Lametti.    

Canada, U.S. launch talks on data-sharing deal

Liberal-NDP deal 'political theatre': expert

Liberal-NDP deal 'political theatre': expert
The deal says NDP MPs will side with the Liberals on key votes until 2025 — meaning they won’t bring down the government over the coming budget, for example, which is expected to be released in the next few weeks.

Liberal-NDP deal 'political theatre': expert

Contentious Kenney leadership vote now a mail-in

Contentious Kenney leadership vote now a mail-in
UCP president Cynthia Moore, in a public statement, says the change was due to the unexpected crush of people signing up to vote in Red Deer to decide whether Kenney should stay on as party leader.

Contentious Kenney leadership vote now a mail-in